Associate Professor of English and Director of Creative Writing
Matt Mullins is currently the Director of Creative Writing at Ball State University. His primary areas of scholarly interest and teaching expertise are in screenwriting, narrative storytelling, digital/experimental filmmaking (film poetry), and film studies. He writes screenplay, fiction, poetry, and makes film poems and digital/interactive literature.
Matt’s film poems have won awards and been screened at numerous festivals and exhibitions in the United States and around the world and include appearances at Visible Verse (Canada), Zebra (Germany), Video Bardo (Argentina), Liberated Words (England), Rabbit Heart (USA), Ó Bhéal (Ireland), The Body Electric (USA), CYCLOP (Ukraine), Co-Kisser (USA), and The International Film Poetry Festival (Greece).
Matt has published poetry and fiction in print and online journals, and is the author of the short story collection Three Ways of the Saw (Atticus Books), which was named a finalist for Foreword Magazine’s Book of the Year. You can engage his interactive/digital literary interfaces, which have been archived by the Library of Congress as part of The New River archive project, at lit-digital.com. You can view his filmpoems on vimeo.
Director of Creative Writing: 2016 - Present
Ph.D. English Literature/Creative Writing, Western Michigan University, 1998
M.F.A. Fiction/Scriptwriting, Western Michigan University, 1994
Research and Publications
Adam’s Apple (poetry film)
- Official Selection, 6th Annual International Video Poetry Festival (The Institute for Experimental Arts), Athens, Greece, January 2017.
Landmine in a Field of Flowers (poetry film)
- Official Selection, Liberated Words IV (Utopia/Dystopia), Bristol Poetry Festival/Arts Council of England, Bristol, England, June 2016.
Monster Movie (poetry film)
- Official Selection, Zebra Poetry Film Festival, Munster/Berlin, Germany, October 2016.
The Hero is Light (poetry film)
- Official Selection, VideoBardo Video Poetry Festival, Buenos Aires, Argentina, November 2016.
Sundowning (poetry film)
- Official Selection, 2nd Annual Rabbit Heart Poetry Film Festival, Worcester, MA, October 2015.