Associate Professor of Chemistry
Institute of Physical Chemistry of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine Ph.D. (1988)
Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology M.S. (1984)
Rosokha Research Group
Our research is focused on the intermolecular interactions and their role in chemical reactions. Primarily, we study halogen bonding’ an attraction between halogen atoms and electron-rich centers, and anion-π bonding, a counter-intuitive attraction between anions and aromatic or olefinic systems. Such interactions were recently identified in many chemical and biochemical systems and several publications demonstrated their significant potential for variety of applications, from crystal engineering of conducting and magnetic materials and molecular recognition, to control of chemical reactivity and rational design of pharmaceutical compounds. This project is supported by the grant CHE-1607746 “RUI: Supramolecular anion-pi and halogen-bonded complexes and their role in electron-transfer processes” from the National Science Foundations (Macromolecular, Supramolecular and Nanochemistry Program in the Division of Chemistry).
We also study intermolecular pi-bonding involving ion-radicals. Elucidation of such interactions provides fascinating data for the development of fundamental concept of chemical bonding. Also, this bonding is vital for the reactions of the ion-radical in solutions and conductivity of their salts, which frequently show unusual magnetic and (super-) conducting properties. This project is supported by the grant PRF #56516 “Characterization of ion-radicals’ pi-bonding and electron transfer using cation-radical salts with weakly-coordinating anions” from the American Chemical Society Petroleum Research Fund.
Students participating in research projects: (i) gain skills in basic organic and inorganic synthesis, common spectral (UV-Vis-NIR, FT-IR) and electrochemical measurements, crystallization of solid-state materials; (ii) enhance knowledge of chemical bonding, thermodynamics, kinetics and reaction mechanism, (iii) get experience in scientific literature analysis, data evaluation, preparation of reports and manuscripts.
Selected Recent Publications
- Watson, B.; Grounds, O.; Borley, W. Rosokha, S.V.;*Resolving Halogen vs Hydrogen Bonding Dichotomy in Solutions: Intermolecular Complexes of Trihalomethanes with Halide and Pseudohalide Anions. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2018, 20, 21999 - 22007.
- Weinberger, C.; Hines, R.; Zeller, M.; Rosokha, S.V.;*Continuum of Covalent to Intermolecular Bonding in the Halogen-Bonded Complexes of 1,4-Diazabicyclo[2.2.2]octane with Bromine-Containing Electrophiles Chemical Communications, 2018, 54, 8060 – 8063.
- Grounds, O.; Zeller, M.; Rosokha, S.V.;*Structural preferences in strong anion-p and halogen-bonded complexes:p- and s-holes vs frontier orbitals interaction. New Journal of Chemistry, 2018, 42, 10572-10583.
- Nizhnik, Y.P.Sons, A.; Zeller, M.; Rosokha, S.V.* Effect of supramolecular architecture on halogen bonding between diiodine and heteroaromatic N-oxides Crystal Growth & Design, 2018, 18, 1198-1207.
- Rosokha, S.V.;*Electron-transfer reactions of halogenated electrophiles: a different look into the nature of halogen bonding.Faraday Discuss., 2017,203, 315-332.
- Rosokha, S.V.;*Kumar, A. Anion-π interaction in metal-organic networks formed by metal halides and tetracyanopyrazine. Journal of Molecular Structure, 2017, 1138,129-135.
- Rosokha, S.V.;* Lukacs, E.; Ritzert, J.; Wasilewski, A. Mechanism and Thermodynamics of Reductive Cleavage of Carbon-Halogen Bonds in the Polybrominated Aliphatic Electrophiles. Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 2016, 120(10), 1706-1715.
* – Corresponding author