Dr. Sally Kang
<b>Department: </b>School of Music<br><b>Research Area: </b>Teacher Concerns, Teacher Development and Growth, Equity in Education, Culturally Responsive Pedagogy, Cultural Competence
Department: School of Music
Research Focus: Teacher Concerns, Teacher Development and Growth, Equity in Education, Culturally Responsive Pedagogy, Cultural Competence
Potential Student Project(s):
- How do pre-service teachers (undergraduate and graduate education majors) develop their expectations for teaching and teacher roles during their preparation program?
- What internal and external motivations affect pre-service teachers' professional development?
- How do college education majors perceive diversity and inclusion during their teacher preparation program and envision their approaches to diversity and inclusion in their future classrooms?
- How the ways that first and second year students deal with struggle in their lives affect the students' career plans?
- How do undergraduate students' concerns change during their college program?
Attributes/skills/background sought in undergraduate: Having interest in understanding people's experiences and perceptions, interview skills (creating interview scripts and transcribing), understanding of assumptions underlying qualitative research methods.
Mentoring Plan: The student will work on this project for 5 hours each week including one hour of 1-on-1 interaction with me. While developing our understanding of qualitative research methods by reading and discussion, we will design studies based on students' interest in the potential projects above. For the research involving human subject through interviews and observations, I will help students' IRB (Institutional Review Boards) process, review the interview protocols and data, and data analysis.
Contact: 480-544-7966, MU 411B