Looking to add special education to your existing license? Through Ball State’s MA in special education, you can choose one of nine focus areas and make that your teaching focus.

You may be also interested to know that our graduate certificates and license options can be combined in a variety of ways to help you build your own master's degree in special education.

Many of the courses used for the 100 percent online master’s degree in special education can also be used toward various licensing programs in special education. However, completion of this program does not provide you with an initial teaching license. Contact the Office of Teacher Education Services for more information regarding teacher licensing.

Program Credentials

Ball State’s master’s in special education is nationally recognized by the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC), and its applied behavior analysis course sequence is verified by the Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB).

Course Requirements

The master's degree requires completion of 30 credits of graduate course work in special education, or equivalent as approved by the department chair, including a research course. Coursework can include classes taken for a departmental graduate certificate or an add-on teaching license.  If you are pursuing an add-on teaching license, you will follow a plan a study prescribed by special education licensure standards.  You are also required to get a licensure evaluation from Ball State's Office of Teacher Education Services and Clinical Practice before starting the program.

Focus Areas

*Please check with a program adviser first if you are thinking about multiple certificates or licenses about requirements.
The Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing License will be offered 100 percent online beginning fall 2019.

Ready to Apply?

You will first want to check if you meet the admission requirements for the Ball State Graduate School. Then you may apply.

Want to Learn More?

Do you have questions about this program or online learning? We’re here to help! You may request more information using our online form, or feel free to reach out directly to one of our staff.

REQUEST INFO                                  CONTACT US