Voluntary short-term disability is offered through The Hartford.
- Short-term disability is available to faculty, professional, and staff employees.
- Service employees are not eligible because they receive short-term disability benefits that are university-subsidized.
When to Enroll
If you are eligible for benefits, you may only sign up for short-term disability at the following times:
- New hires—within the first 31 days of employment
- Existing employees—open enrollment
When to Cancel
You may cancel short-term disability at any time by logging in to the online benefit enrollment system and editing your benefit selections.
Submitting a Claim
When an employee is eligible to receive benefits under the plan, he/she must submit a claim to the plan administrator. The Hartford is the plan administrator; their phone number is 1-866-945-4558. When you call to file your claim, please reference Policy # 402809.
The Hartford will ask you to provide:
- Name, address, policy number, and other key identification information.
- Name of your department and last day of active full-time work.
- Your manager's or HR representative's name and phone number.
- The nature of your claim.
- Your treating physician's name, address, and phone and fax numbers.
Claims may be filed beginning with the first day of absence but no later than 90 days after the date of loss for which the claim is made.