The Teachers College is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation. Learn more.
Our add-on license for deaf education covers advanced academic and professional training in the application of deaf education and professional development activities to help you continue lifelong teacher education. The program provides course work to meet the educational requirements for this add-on license.
Course work includes history of deaf education, the education of exception children, American Sign Language, and teaching strategies for communicating with deaf students.
Pursuing this add-on license will also take you most of the way to the master of arts degree in special education since the eight or nine required classes can be applied to the MA’s 10 required courses.
Courses for the license in deaf education are delivered online and on campus.
If you wish to obtain a teaching license in deaf education, you are required to get a licensure evaluation from Ball State’s Office of Teacher Education Services and Clinical Practice before starting the program. The evaluation will provide you with a list of courses and exam requirements for an approved Indiana teaching license in deaf education.
- SPCE 540 History of Education of Deaf Students and Psychology of Deafness (3 credits)
Not open to students who have credit in SPCE 240.
- SPCE 546 Teaching Strategies for Speech/Social Communication for Deaf Students (3 credits)
Prerequisite SPCE 540 or permission of the department chairperson
Not open to students who have credit in SPCE 246.
- SPCE 548 Practicum in Deaf Education (3 credits)
Prerequisite: SPCE 546 or permission of the department chairperson.
- SPCE 554 Introduction to Language for Deaf/Hard-of Hearing Students (3 credits)
Prerequisite: SPCE 540
Not open to students who have credit in SPCE 454.
- SPCE 556 Language Methods for Deaf/Hard-of-Hearing Students (3 credits)
Prerequisite: SPCE 554
Not open to students who have credit in SPCE 456.
- SPCE 558 Teaching Reading and School Subjects to Deaf/Hard-of-Hearing Students (3 credits)
Prerequisite: SPCE 556
Not open to students who have credit in SPCE 458.
- SPCE 600 Education of Exceptional Children (3 credits)
- SPCE 670 Practicum in Special Education Deaf (1-9)
Prerequisite: permission of the department chairperson. A total of 9 hours of credit may be earned.
- SNLNG 551 American Sign Language 1 (3 credits)
- SNLNG 552 American Sign Language 2 (3 credits)
Prerequisite: SNLN 251 or 551; permission of the department chairperson.
Not open to students who have credit in SNLN 253.
- SPAA 543 Introduction to Audiology (3 credits)
Prerequisite: SPAA 161, 260, or 560
Not open to students who have credit in SPAA 343.
More about Online Learning
Ready to Apply?
You will first want to check if you meet the admission requirements for the Ball State Graduate School. Then you may apply.
No GRE is required.
Admission to Ball State is selective, and we carefully evaluate all application on an individual basis. Applying for admission is easy. Use our convenient, comprehensive, and secure online application.
Students from Other States
Ball State is authorized to accept online students from all U.S. states. However, certain states have regulations regarding licensing programs in nursing and education. Learn more about state authorizations for non-Indiana students.
Want to Learn More?
Do you have questions about this program or online learning? We’re here to help! You may request more information using our online form, or feel free to reach out directly to one of our staff.
REQUEST INFO CONTACT US