Academic year, full-time Ball State University faculty members within the College of Sciences and Humanities and Miller College of Business are invited to apply for a summer experience with an Indiana business which requires skills representative of those taught by the faculty in their department. This experience, termed a “Faculty Externship,” will take place over the summer and includes 40 hours of on-site learning, a written report, and final department/college presentation.
How To Get Started
SUPPLEMENTAL COMPENSATION POLICY
For more information about supplemental compensation, and if you're eligible to receive the full amount, please contact Sponsored Projects Administration.
Contact your department chair for approval to begin the application process. Once written approval has been received by the Career Center, you'll be invited to complete the online interest form. Please include current curriculum vitae.
Applicants will be asked to identify an Indiana business or industry of interest, corresponding to academic classes taught, and the Career Center will assist to arrange placement at the summer externship site.
Please disclose any/all anticipated summer responsibilities, including course load, grants and/or projects, as all payments will be made in accordance with the maximums outlined in the Supplemental Compensation Policy.
Responsibilities of Awarded Faculty Member
- Coordinate with the Career Center for approval of your Indiana externship site (must align with curriculum/classes taught), confirmation of externship goals, dates of on-site experience, and payment schedule. Sign externship agreement and return it to the Career Center before the externship begins.
- Spend a minimum of 40 hours on site. Log hours and obtain signatures of worksite supervisor and submit to the Career Center no later than August 19, 2019.
- Any deviation from externship agreement and hours logged could result in delay of payment.
- Externships must be completed, and written reports received to the Career Center by/before August 19, 2019.
- The written report is a summation of the externship experience and company/industry, along with explicit recommendations regarding the implementation of new processes, procedures, or curricula to be enhanced or developed within the next academic year as a result of the industry exposure.
- Share the summer externship experience and above action steps with your individual department/college via a final presentation during the fall semester. Faculty will coordinate with their respective chair/dean for reservations, calendar approval, announcements, etc. The fall semester presentation should include information about 1) the company/industry, 2) the summer externship experience, and 3) curricula changes and course recommendations.
Payment for the externship experience is $5,000. Once signed documentation of hours completed is received & written summary submitted, a payment request in the amount of $5,000 will be generated to be paid through the Ball State payroll system on the next available pay cycle. All payments will be made in accordance with the maximums outlined in the Supplemental Compensation Policy. Please consider this when selecting which summer session to complete the externship.
- Jan. 18 – Externship interest form due to Cardinal Connect Program Director (Career Center)
- Jan. 21-Feb. 22 – Applications reviewed for approval by College Deans
- Feb. 25 – Externship awardee notification announcement (the week of)
- March-April – Awardees work with Career Center to identify and confirm externship location, etc.
- May 6-Aug. 16 – Externship takes place over the summer term (40 hours on site of an Indiana industry)
- Aug. 19 – Hours sheet completed & signed and written summary report submitted to the Career Center
- Fall Semester – Faculty presentations must be completed within the fall semester