Accelerate, a program designed for first-time freshmen by Housing and Residence Life, is specifically developed to help you succeed at Ball State. A limited number of students will be selected to participate in each residence hall throughout campus.
If you’re selected, you will have additional opportunities to develop the skills needed to stay on track. You’ll move in early and attend special programs with speakers to share valuable tips on:
- getting involved in your residence hall and in student organizations
- developing leadership skills
- achieving academic success
- learning more about campus
- making friends!
Along with the activities, the program provides meals and lodging for free.
At this time, we are full and accepting waitlist applications only!
I had an amazing experience at Accelerate. The people I met during the program are still my best friends to this day.
Liz Brown, Accelerate student
Other Summer Bridge Programs
Please note that three other Summer Bridge Programs – Cardinal Connections, Cardinal Leadership and Service Seminar, and Early Start – take place during the same dates as Accelerate, so if you are registering for Accelerate, you cannot register as a participant for Cardinal Connections, C.L.A.S.S. or Early Start. Students who plan to attend band camp are also not eligible to apply for Accelerate
- 12 p.m.- 3 p.m. – Check into your Residence Hall and Movie in
- 4 p.m. – Meet your Accelerate Mentors at the front desk of your hall
- 4:15 p.m. – Introductions at Park Hall MPR
- 6:00 p.m. – Dinner
- 7:30 p.m. – Ice Breakers with Residence Hall Staff
- 8:00 p.m. – In Hall Time with Group
- 8 a.m. – Breakfast
- 9 a.m. – Challenge Experiences
- 10:45 a.m. – Leadership on Campus with Ryan Penneau
- 12:30 p.m. – Lunch
- 1:30 p.m. – Developing and Academic Purpose with Ryan Penneau
- 4:30 p.m. – Accelerate Team Photos
- 5 p.m. – Dinner
- 7 p.m. – The Piece Project
- 9 p.m. – Accelerate Reflection
- 8 a.m. – Breakfast
- 9 a.m. – Campus Scavenger Hunt
- 11 a.m. – Opening Roles and Welcome Week
- 12 p.m. – Lunch
- 2 p.m. – Will They Make Fun Of My Sheets with James Robilotta
- 3:30 p.m. – Meet and Greet with James Robilotta
- 4 p.m. – Accelerate Connections
- 5 p.m. – Dinner with President Mearns
- 6:30 p.m. – Accelerate Teams Final Reflection
- 7:30 p.m. – Night at Rec
I really had a great time at Accelerate! It reallyhelped me get familiar with campus and I felt a lot more confident going to classes. It was also a big help moving in early
Jessica Hill, Accelerate student
Agreement and Expectations
Ball State Accelerate is designed to help you get started with your on-campus experience by introducing you to residence hall leaders, Resident Assistants and professional staff members before the residence halls open. Additionally you will begin to acclimate to the Ball State University campus and learn how to successfully get involved. In order for you to get the most out of this experience we ask that you review and sign this agreement.
All Accelerate participants must agree and take responsibility for the following:
- Attending all functions listed on the BSU Accelerate schedule, including moving into the residence halls on Sunday August 11th, 2019.
- Assisting with residence hall move-in, which includes preparing for move-in and specific duties during August 14th and 15th, 2019.
- Assisting with Welcome Week activities from Wednesday, August 14th through Sunday, August 18th, 2019.
- Providing feedback, and general communication to all Ball State staff members and student leaders
- Being patient and expressing my ideas in a clear, concise and respectful manner.
- Arriving to all commitments on time and finishing all tasks as assigned with a positive attitude.
- Following all the rules and policies outlined in the Residence Hall Living Guidelines and Ball State Code of Student Conduct.
- Asking questions and for help.
- Having fun, smiling and laughing.
- Taking personal responsibility for making this a rewarding and engaging experience, including reunion events organized for the fall semester.
All Accelerate participants are permitted to move in early in exchange for participating in the Ball State Accelerate Program. Participants who do not fully participate in the Accelerate Program or do not follow-through on the above commitments may be responsible for paying for any meals and nights stayed in the residence halls prior to the hall opening that could total up to $175.
Accelerate was responsible for the successful transition I've experienced from high school to college. Thanks to Accelerate, I was motivated and met the amazing friends I have now
Rosnellys Perez, Accelerate student
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, students should apply prior to July 29. There is limited space in the program and students' requests to participate will be accepted on a first-come, first serve basis.
No, just a person who is friendly and has a willingness to learn.
Students will have the opportunity to met current student leaders and staff, learn how to get involved on campus, and meet lots of new people!
No. There is no cost or fee. We just ask that you are ready to learn and have fun.
Students will be notified no later than August 1.
We ask that students participating in Accelerate move in a few days before other students. Move in day for Accelerate students will be Sunday, August 11 from 12 p.m.- 4 p.m. We also expect you to participate in the Accelerate functions and assist with move-in activities.
Students in the Accelerate program will move into their residence hall. When you arrive on campus, head straight to your building to check in from 12 p.m. - 4 p.m. Then we will have a mentor meet you at the front desk of your hall at 5 p.m. on Sunday, August 11th.
Participants will go to their hall first to move-in. You will meet your mentor at 5 p.m. at the front desk of your building. At 5:30 p.m. in Park Hall MPR, the program will begin.
Want to Learn More?
If you have additional questions about getting involved, send us an email.