You should apply as an undergraduate student in the online and distance education program if:
- you have completed or will complete high school or secondary school before the semester you apply to start
- you plan to take courses online only while residing outside of the United States
- you wish to earn a bachelor’s degree or undergraduate certificate
Step 1: Review Admission Criteria
Here’s What We Look For
Admission to Ball State is competitive. We review each individual application to consider your academic performance, level of course work, and English proficiency test scores. Ultimately, we aim to determine if you can be successful here. Review the following criteria we consider when you apply.
Academic Performance and Curriculum
Admission to Ball State is selective. We seek new students who have the ability, motivation, and intellectual curiosity needed to thrive in our innovative learning environment. Admission criteria include the strength of your high school curriculum and your performance, curricular patterns, and if your grade trends in academic courses were positive and consistent. No grade point average guarantees admission to Ball State. We look for applicants that have demonstrated above average grades.
SAT and/or ACT Scores and English Proficiency Standards
SAT/ACT scores are not required for admission but scores may be used to meet our English proficiency requirement.
For full admission, you must earn a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 79, International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.5, Pearson’s PTE of 53, SAT Critical Reading section or SAT Evidence-Base Reading and Writing score of 500, or ACT English Section score of 21 unless eligible for a waiver.
You can retake any test and submit new scores an unlimited number of times.
Conditional admission is not permitted for online degrees.
If you are currently in the United States and want to be a distance learning student, you must obtain authorization based upon your visa status.
Contact International Student Services and your current visa sponsor to obtain permission.
Step 2: Apply for Admission
Complete the online application for undergraduate admission.
- You must pay a nonrefundable application fee of U.S. $55.
Apply Now as an undergraduate
Academic Records—You must provide high school transcripts and diplomas from all institutions where you have studied in the past. They must be submitted in English (10th, 11th, and 12th grade, or equivalent) or with an official translation. Transcripts from schools located in the United States must be sent directly from the institution to Ball State.
You can submit academic records by:
- email to INTADMIT@bsu.edu.
AFTER STEP 3
- You will receive an email explaining how to activate your Ball State account (if you do not have an existing account).
- You will receive an email explaining important documentation that will need to be submitted in order to complete your application.