Ball State University requires all international graduate applicants to demonstrate English proficiency by submitting a TOEFL, Pearson's PTE, or IELTS score unless eligible for a waiver. Scores can be submitted by emailing a scanned copy of the score report to INTADMIT@bsu.edu.
Required Scores for English Proficiency
- TOEFL 79
- Ball State University accepts MyBest™ scores for the TOEFL iBT® test, in addition to TOEFL iBT scores from a single test date.
- IELTS 6.5 bands
- Pearson's PTE 53
Conditional admission is available to students who are academically admissible to Ball State but do not meet our English proficiency required scores. Students who are eligible for conditional admission are admitted to the Intensive English Institute program at Ball State and must meet English proficiency requirements before being offered full admission to the university. Eligible students will receive an I-20 for English Language training and may receive an updated I-20 for academic study after receiving full admission. Visit our Frequently Asked Questions About Conditional Admission for more information.
Conditional admission is not available for all Ball State graduate programs.
The graduate programs below do not offer conditional admission:
- Applied Meteorology & Climatology/GI Science
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Clinical Psychology
- Communication Studies
- Educational Psychology
- Emerging Media Design and Development
- English (all graduate programs)
- Exercise Physiology
- Executive Development for Public Service
- Public Relations
- Rehabilitation Counseling
- School Counseling
- School Psychology
- Social Psychology (general and applied)
- Speech Pathology
- Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Student Affairs Administration
- Quantitative Psychology
Doctoral programs do not offer conditional admission.
All online programs do not offer conditional admission.
Proof of English Proficiency
You can meet the English proficiency requirements of Ball State if you have done any of the following in the U.S.:
- earned a high school diploma
- earned a college degree
- have 24 credit hours of credit-bearing academic study at an accredited university
Also, applicants meet English proficiency requirements, if they have earned a high school diploma or have completed 24 credit hours of credit-bearing academic study at an accredited institution from the following native English-speaking countries:
- British Virgin Islands
- Canada (excluding Quebec)
- Cayman Islands
- New Zealand
- Sierra Leone
- St. Kitts and Nevis
- St. Lucia
- St. Vincent and Grenadines
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Turks and Caicos Islands
- United Kingdom