At Ball State Dance, we are focused on how bodies in motion affect the world, and how our dancing is, in turn, affected by the world we live in. We connect artistic discovery to real-world application, asking you as a student to self-direct, innovate, and implement a plan for your time on campus and your career beyond. We are committed to developing your individual technique, artistry, creativity, and intellect through a thorough understanding of the historical, social, and conceptual aspects of dance.
The bachelor of fine arts (BFA) in dance provides a pre-professional experience within a liberal arts education, offering advanced course work in a variety of dance disciplines—modern, ballet, jazz, tap, musical theatre, and world forms—in addition to rigorous practice and study in performance, choreography, and theory.
- Advanced training is tailored to your individual professional goals.
- Distinguished international guest artists
provide on-campus workshops throughout your four years of training.
- Exciting immersive learning opportunities let you collaborate with other disciplines and get involved in projects with real-world impact.
- Professional development and networking opportunities support our commitment to seamlessly transitioning you into the professional world.
- We are an active award-winning participant in American College Dance Association (ACDA).
- The BFA in dance requires 85 credits, along with the additional 33 credits of core courses and two general electives that are part of the university’s core curriculum.
Download SAMPLE 8 Semester Plan (PDF) View Catalog
Our faculty are committed to cultivating your uniqueness as a dancer and providing you with rigorous and diverse training in all dance disciplines.
- Our low student-to-faculty ratio will allow for your personal development as an individual artist.
- Small class sizes ensure you will get hands-on advising and mentoring.
- All faculty are working professionals with extensive experience in the real world, so you have rare access to outstanding performance and intensive study opportunities outside the classroom.
Our dedicated, caring faculty will immediately welcome you into our community and guide you throughout your entire experience at Ball State. Our dance faculty have worked professionally with numerous national and international companies.
READ THEIR BIOS
Performance and Work Opportunities
You will always have opportunities to work—both in and out of the classroom—to prepare you for the real world of professional dance.
- Our undergraduate-only program allows you to perform each semester, beginning with your first, in both faculty- and student-choreographed productions.
- Off-campus opportunities include festivals in New York, Chicago, and beyond. In recent years, students have performed at Jacob’s Pillow Dance Festival, DUMBO Dance Festival, and Midwest RAD Fest, among others.
Ball State dance alumni are ready to enter the professional world of dance as soon as they graduate, and they love nothing more than helping each other and future graduates of the program.
- Ball State dance alumni have performed on Broadway and with numerous national and international companies including Joffrey Ensemble, Amy Marshall Dance Company, Les Ballets Grandiva, Treeline Dance Works, Thodos Dance Chicago, and Louisville Ballet, among many others.
- Ball State has active and supportive alumni networks in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, and other major cities.
Recent dance alumni credits include Motown, The Musical (National Tour), Thodos Dance Chicago, Broadway Christmas Wonderland tour, Ballet Quad Cities, and Common Thread Contemporary Dance Company.
SEE THEIR ACCOMPLISHMENTS
In addition to faculty who are working dance professionals, we bring in distinguished guest artists on a regular basis to work with you—in classes, workshops, and the production season. These seasoned practitioners will enrich your educational experience immeasurably, while also allowing for professional networking opportunities.
SEE OUR GUEST ARTISTS
Paying for Your Education
On top of the many forms of financial aid Ball State offers, the Department of Theatre and Dance offers a wide variety of merit and need-based scholarships to our own students at all levels and in all areas. We provide tens of thousands of dollars in support to make the college experience more affordable.
Apply to the Program
Are you interested in the BFA in dance? You must audition for admission into the program. We hold on-campus auditions in the fall. In February, dance auditions are held at Ball State and in Chicago.
You must apply for admission to the university prior to scheduling your audition. Audition requests are made by filling out the supplemental dance application that is part of the online application to the university. ust apply for admission to the university prior to scheduling your audition. Audition requests are made by filling out the supplemental theatre application that is part of the online application to the university.