Ball State's completely online Gifted and Talented Graduate Certificate or Licensure program is one of few in the nation that aligns with standards set by the National Association for Gifted Children-Council for Exceptional Children, and we have national accreditation through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). The courses you take count toward either a graduate certificate or an add-on teaching license (Indiana only).
A high ability license or certificate will give you the tools to work with your schools’ brightest students. Our program will teach you to:
- identify gifted and talented students
- evaluate students and programs
- design appropriate curricula for talent development
- meet the social and emotional needs of gifted students
If you wish to obtain an add-on teaching license in gifted and talented education, you need to get a licensure evaluation (PDF) from Ball State’s Office of Teacher Education Services and Clinical Practice before starting the program.
Teachers in other states can earn gifted and talented certificates. Check your state's requirements for courses necessary for endorsement or add-on licensure.
This 12-credit program requires completion of four courses and can be completed in only six months.
- EDPS 520 Introduction to the Gifted and Talented Student (3 credits)
- EDPS 621 Identification and Evaluation of Gifted and Talented Students (3 credits)
- EDPS 625 Models and Strategies for Gifted Education (3 credits)
- EDPS 611 Development of Creative Thinking or EDPS 623 The Social and Emotional Development of Gifted Students (3 credits)
You may also apply these courses to a master’s degree in educational psychology or add on 15 credits of core elementary education courses to complete a master's in elementary education.
For a complete list of program requirements and courses, see the course catalog.
More about Online Learning
Ready to Apply?
Are you interested in our one of our programs? Then it’s time to apply!
Want to Learn More?
Do you have questions about this program or online learning? We’re here to help! You may request more information using our online form, or feel free to reach out directly to one of our staff.
Request Info Contact Us