Ball State's completely online Gifted and Talented Graduate Certificate or Licensure program is one of few in the nation that aligns with standards set by the National Association for Gifted Children-Council for Exceptional Children, and we have national accreditation through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). The courses you take count toward either a graduate certificate or an add-on teaching license (Indiana only).
A high ability license or certificate will give you the tools to work with your schools’ brightest students. Our program will teach you to:
- identify gifted and talented students
- evaluate students and programs
- design appropriate curricula for talent development
- meet the social and emotional needs of gifted students
This 12-credit program requires completion of four courses. Each course is only eight weeks long, and the program can be completed in only six months.
- EDPS 520 Introduction to the Gifted and Talented Student (3 credits)
- EDPS 621 Identification and Evaluation of Gifted and Talented Students (3 credits)
- EDPS 625 Models and Strategies for Gifted Education (3 credits)
- EDPS 611 Development of Creative Thinking or EDPS 623 The Social and Emotional Development of Gifted Students (3 credits)
Even if the timing for pursuit of a full graduate certificate may not be right just yet, you can sample courses of interest to help you build skills in specific areas for your professional development goals.
You may also apply these courses to a master’s degree in educational psychology or add on 15 credits of core elementary education courses to complete a master's in elementary education.
For a complete list of program requirements and courses, see the course catalog.
Contact Alicia Ganion, who can answer questions you have about our program.
More about Online Learning
Ready to Apply?
Are you interested in our one of our programs? Then it’s time to apply!
Want to Learn More?
Do you have questions about this program or online learning? We’re here to help! You may request more information using our online form, or feel free to reach out directly to one of our staff.
Request Info Contact Us