If you’re an active teacher who has an elementary, middle school, or special education teaching license—and frequently wish you were in a leadership position—the certificate in elementary mathematics leadership is a possibility to consider.
This completely online five-course certificate provides the additional depth of mathematics content and pedagogical knowledge needed to make you a successful math teacher and educator-leader. With certificate courses, you can take what you learned into your classroom the next day. What’s more, the five courses can be applied to one of two options in our master of arts in mathematics education (K-12).
We offer this program based on the rationale from the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, which considers mathematics school and district leaders essential to improving mathematics instruction and achievement.
Required Courses (9 credits)
- MATH 690 Curriculum and Instruction in Mathematics Education (3 credits)
- MATH 693 Teaching Mathematics through Problem Solving (3 credits)
- MATH 697 Mathematics Teacher Leadership I (3 credits)
Electives (6 credits)
Select two courses:
- MATH 614 Algebraic Reasoning (3 credits)
- MATH 615 Number Concepts and Number Theory (3 credits)
- MATH 616 Rational Numbers and Proportional Reasoning (3 credits)
- MATH 623 Probability, Data Analysis, and Statistical Reasoning (3 credits)
- MATH 640 Measurement Concepts and Geometric Reasoning (3 credits)
A grade point average of 3.0 is required to receive the certificate. No grade lower than a C will count toward the certificate. Transfer credits are not accepted.
For course descriptions and prerequisites, view the course catalog.
More about Online Learning
Ready to Apply?
Admission to Ball State is selective, and we carefully evaluate all application on an individual basis. Applying for admission is easy. Use our convenient, comprehensive, and secure online application.
Want to Learn More?
Do you have question about this program or online learning? We're here to help! You may request more information using our online form, or feel free to reach out directly to one of our staff.
Request Info Contact Us