John Lavine is an Instructor in the CAP first-year program and the department of Landscape Architecture at Ball State University. He received his Master and Bachelor of Landscape Architecture, from the R. Wayne Estopinal College of Architecture and Planning, at Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana. John has experience working in the public sector facilitating over 100 public engagements including presentations, meetings, and design explorations with the public, stakeholders, and government officials. His teaching and research interests are design of civic spaces and placemaking, communication and professionalism in design, and design readiness- inspiration/exploration that leads to conceptual design and built work.
- (2018) Master of Landscape Architecture, R. Wayne Estopinal College of Architecture and Planning, Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana.
- (2017) Bachelor of Landscape Architecture, R. Wayne Estopinal College of Architecture and Planning, Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana.
- (2016-Present) Principal of Landscape Design and Community Planning, Madison County Council of Governments, Anderson, IN.
- (2018-Present) Instructor, Department of Landscape Architecture, College of Architecture and Planning, Ball State University, Muncie, IN.
Major Research and Teaching Emphasis
- Design of Civic Spaces and placemaking
- Communication and Professionalism in Design
- Design Readiness -- Inspiration/Exploration that leads to conceptual design and built work.
Grants and Awards
- Michael Sommer Award, 2017
- INASLA Student Honor Award, 2017
- Indiana Garden Club Scholarship Recipient, 2014-2018
- Office of Community and Rural Affairs Planning Grant City of Elwood, Indiana, 2021
Recent Research and Publications
- Presentation, “Alternatives for Storm Water Management”, Indiana MPO Conference, 2018.
- Workshop, “Design Everything,” Ball State University, Information on fabrication and construction methods, 2018. Welding, fabrication, metal cutting, (hands-on workshop).
Professional Social Media
|Environment Design a
||0830 - 1220
||M W F
||AB, room 507