Dr. Dorna Eshrati is an Assistant Professor of Landscape Architecture at Ball State University. She received her Ph.D. in Environmental Design and Planning from the College of Architecture, Planning and Design at Kansas State University, and she holds Architecture (bachelor’s) and Urban Design (master’s) degrees from Iran University of Science and Technology, Tehran, Iran. Before joining the Department of Landscape Architecture at Ball State University, she had taught in the first-year Environmental Design Program at Kansas State University. Her teaching and research interests are history and theory of the built environment, urban landscape conservation, design pedagogy, inclusive urban design, and visual communication.
- (2020) Ph.D. in Environmental Design and Planning, College of Architecture, Planning, and Design, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas, USA.
- (2016) Master of Urban Design, School of Architecture and Environmental Design, Iran University of Science and Technology, Tehran, Iran.
- (2014) Bachelor of Architecture, School of Architecture and Environmental Design, Iran University of Science and Technology, Tehran, Iran.
- (2020-Present) Assistant Professor, Department of Landscape Architecture, College of Architecture and Planning, Ball State University, Muncie, IN, USA.
- (2017-2019) Instructor, College of Architecture, Planning and Design, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS, USA.
Major Research and Teaching Emphasis
- History and theory of the built environment with a focus on “underrepresented” places
- Urban landscape conservation
- Inclusive urban design
- Design pedagogy
Grants and Awards
- Dorna Eshrati. 2021. Provost Immersive Learning Pilot Grant for “Promoting Inclusive Excellence Through Urban Design, Case Study: Mississinewa Riverfront Development, Marion, IN.” Awarded by Ball State University, Muncie, IN, USA.
- Dorna Eshrati. 2020. ASPiRE Start-Up Grant for “The Rise and Fall of Park Design in Kansas, USA” Project. Awarded by Ball State University, Muncie, IN, USA.
Recent Publications and Presentations
- Eshrati, Dorna; Gibson, Huston. 2021. “Will You Stay? An Analysis of Attachment to a Flyover Country” [Peer Reviewed Full Paper]. Community Development. Read article.
- Eshrati, Dorna. 2020. “Never Too Many Parks: The History of Kansas Pleasure Grounds (1850-1920)” [PhD Dissertation]. K-REx: Kansas State University Research Exchange. Read article.
- Eshrati, Dorna; and Priest, Kerry. 2019. “Who I Am and What Do I Do as a Designer? Integrating Leadership Skills with Environmental Design Learning” [Peer Reviewed Abstract]. 2019 CELA Conference on Engaged Scholarship; Sacramento, CA, 85. Read article.
- Eshrati, Dorna. 2018. “Type Versus Stereotype: An Analysis of International College Students’ Perceptions of US Cities and Public Spaces” [Peer Reviewed Full Paper]. Archnet-IJAR, International Journal of Architectural Research, 12(2), 263-280. Read article.
Professional Social Media
||0000 - 0000