- Credits: 43
- Delivery: On-Campus
- The CEP Program is 21 consecutive months
If you're a graduate student looking to become an advanced exercise professional in clinical, research, or wellness settings, the Clinical Exercise Physiology degree (CEP) is an ideal choice. With a degree in clinical exercise physiology, you can also lay a solid foundation for pursuing additional educational training as a Ph.D., MD, or Physician Assistant.
At the CEP, we offer comprehensive and rigorous coursework designed to equip you with the necessary skills and knowledge to excel in your chosen field. You will also have the opportunity to gain practical experience working with both apparently healthy and patient populations and participate in cutting-edge research.
Our 21-month program starts in August and extends for five academic semesters, culminating with a graduation in May. We also offer graduate assistantships for well-qualified students who meet our criteria.
About the Program
At the CEPP, we take pride in helping students like you develop their potential and achieve their career goals. Apply today and join our vibrant community of aspiring exercise professionals.
As a graduate student in the Clinical Exercise Physiology Program, your first year will involve working primarily with the Adult Physical Fitness Program and the Clinical Exercise Physiology Laboratory. You'll engage in targeted coursework and practical experiences that will enable you to perform comprehensive health and fitness assessments, develop personalized exercise prescriptions, and guide members through the APFP as exercise leaders. In addition, you'll have the opportunity to work on ongoing research projects.
During your second year in the program, you'll gain invaluable experience working with patient populations in outpatient cardiac, pulmonary, and oncology rehabilitation programs at nearby Indiana University Health-Ball Memorial Hospital. You'll also take on a supervisory role in the CEP Laboratory, where you'll assist faculty research and mentor first-year students. If you're interested in further research experience, you can opt to complete a thesis or research project. Alternatively, if you're looking for more clinical experience, you can choose to complete an additional internship instead of a research project.
As a student in the CEP program, you'll develop the expertise to:
- Design personalized exercise plans that meet the unique health needs of adults with various risks and chronic diseases.
- Conduct comprehensive assessments to identify cardiovascular disease risks and develop effective interventions.
- Perform and analyze maximal cardiopulmonary exercise tests to evaluate physical fitness and identify potential health concerns.
- Gain a deep understanding of the acute physiological responses and chronic adaptations to exercise, which will help you tailor fitness programs to individual needs.
- Utilize leading scientific statements and clinical guidelines from prestigious organizations such as the American College of Sports Medicine, the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation, the American Heart Association, and the US Department of Health and Human Services.
- Learn how to design and conduct research projects, including formulating research questions, preparing proposals, collecting and analyzing data, and presenting research findings.
Join our vibrant community of faculty, students, alumni, and collaborators from around the world who are dedicated to advancing the field of exercise physiology.
Our community is committed to providing you with an unparalleled educational experience that prepares you for a successful career as an exercise professional, or further training in research or clinical programs. As a CEP student, you'll have access to world-class resources and opportunities to engage in cutting-edge research, gain practical experience, and develop the skills needed to make a positive impact on people's lives.
You may not know Matthew Harber, but he wishes you a long, healthy life. An expert in aging well, his research helps health professionals develop the best exercise plans for lifelong fitness. Learn more about his work.
Take the Next Step
If you’d like to learn more about our Master's in Clinical Exercise Physiology degree, complete our online form or contact us for more information. And if you’re ready to apply, review our admission requirements and complete our online application.