About the Program
Hours of Operation
- Mon-Fri: 6:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m. - 1:15 p.m., 3:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- no Saturday hours
- Closed July 4th
- Closed July 24th-28th
- July 31st - August 11th, open only Monday, Wednesday & Friday, 6:00 a.m - 8:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m. - 1:15 p.m., 3:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
For more information contact Becky Collins at 765-285-1140
The Adult Physical Fitness Program (APFP) was started in the late 1960s by Dr. Bud Getchell and has operated continuously since its inception. The Mission of the APFP mirrors the educational, research, and service missions of Ball State University.
We have over 3,500 square feet of fitness space dedicated solely to our members. If you would like to check out our facility and get more information about our services, which include a knowledgeable, friendly staff, fitness assessments, individualized training sessions (aerobic, resistance training and flexibility/balance/core) regular progress reports (to you and your physician), and incentive programs, please stop by the Adult Physical Fitness Center located in room 135 across from the climbing wall in the Ball State Student Recreation and Wellness Center for a tour.
The APFP provides daily exercise supervision and exercise counseling by trained staff. Members may undergo comprehensive health screening and physical fitness testing, from which an individualized exercise plan can be implemented to help members achieve their health and wellness goals.
We accept BSU Working Well Incentive vouchers.
Join the Program
Designed for adults who can be classified as low or moderate risk for developing cardiovascular disease (according to national guidelines from health and medical organizations); however, the program does provide services for some individuals with chronic diseases. For specific information about eligibility, please contact the program office.
- Daily supervision by trained exercise staff
- Annual progress evaluation
- Motivational programs
- Exercise Program Staff
- 8 Treadmills
- 5 Elliptical machines
- 1 Arc Trainer
- 1 Zero Runner
- 3 All Motion Trainer
- 3 Recumbent Steppers
- 2 Rowers
- 1 REX
- 2 Stepmills
- 4 Upright Cycles
- 3 Hybrid Cycles
- 2 Nu-Steps
- Full line of weight equipment from Life Fitness
- Dumbbell free weight area
- Stretching/Core strength training area
- 7 Pieces of Magnum Body Motion equipment
- Xbox Kinect
- $219.00 – Complete screening and testing and a 6 month membership. All Program fees are non-refundable.
- Those who consistently adhere to the exercise prescription will be encouraged to complete retesting after 6 months.
- $240.00 - Annual membership renewal.
- Multiple member discounts available when joining.
- We honor Silver & Fit, Silver Sneakers, Active & Fit, Renew Active as well as One Pass programs.
- We honor BSU insurance members Working Well Vouchers.
The Adult Physical Fitness Program provides a variety of cardiovascular risk factor screenings and physical fitness measurements. Please call the program office for costs for the evaluations and to schedule an appointment.
Health & Chronic Disease Risk Assessment
- Blood Pressure analysis
- Blood chemistry profile
- Hemoglobin A1c
- Body Composition
- Waist Circumference
- Dual-energy-x0ray absoprtiometry (DXA)
- Resting 12-lead electrocardiogram
- Pulmonary function testing
- Handgrip strength
- Vascular age
- 10-year CVD risk score
Cardiopulmonary Exercise Test
- Performed on treadmill or cycle
- Aerobic capacity (VO2max)
- Maximal heart rate
- Heart rate recovery
- Heart rhythm monitored with 12-lead ECG
- Ventilatory threshold
- Peak exercise blood pressure
Internships and Observation Opportunities
The Clinical Exercise Physiology Program offers opportunities for undergraduate Exercise Science students to work for up to 16 weeks with the Adult Physical Fitness Program. Current CPR certification and CITI (Collaborative Institutional Training Institute) training required. This Program is open to students from any academic institution and is not limited to Ball State students only. Observation/Practicum opportunities are also available.
For more information, contact Nicole Koontz, Associate Director, Adult Physical Fitness Program.
Follow us on Social Media