Get the skills you need to excel in the ever-changing world of finance. Whatever your dreams and goals—everything from managing a portfolio to leading a Fortune 500 company one day—our major in finance will help you achieve them.
You’ll get the big picture on financial markets and learn how to leverage powerful problem-solving skills in corporate finance to meet business and investor goals. Raise and deploy funds, manage liquidity and financial institutions, master security analysis and portfolio management, and tackle personal financial planning.
As a finance major, you’ll gain real-world analytical, quantitative, and conceptual skills in key areas:
- University Core Curriculum
- 14 undergraduate business foundation courses
- specialized finance coursework (including a 15-credit finance core)
- twelve credits of electives
- a broad array of general electives
Content covered in your coursework includes:
- Quantitative Methods and Economics
- Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Corporate Finance
- Equity Investments and Fixed Income
- Derivatives and Alternate Investments
- Portfolio Management
For a full list of all program requirements and course descriptions, please see our Course Catalog.
The A. Umit Taftali Center for Capital Markets and Investing is a technology-centered classroom that houses Bloomberg terminals and brings Wall Street to University Avenue. The facility simulates a real-world financial environment which allows students the opportunity for hands-on training in the workings of financial markets, financial modeling, and valuation.
If you’re interested in investments and portfolio management, you’ll gain valuable experience managing a real, $1.1 million equity portfolio through our Student Managed Investment Fund. You’ll be responsible for security selection, investment strategy, and fund performance.
The Bachelor of Science in Finance (Financial Analyst option) program participates in
the CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) Institute University Recognition Program.
This status is granted to institutions whose degree programs incorporate a
large part of the CFA Program Candidate Body of Knowledge and emphasize the CFA
Institute’s code of ethics and standards practice. The CFA Institute offers
scholarships to students that are enrolled in the program and have not yet
registered for their next exam.
Our finance program is approved by the CFP Board to cover coursework addressing the major personal financial planning areas before taking the comprehensive CFP Certification Examination. Certified Financial Planner professionals are uniquely qualified to help individuals pull all their finances together, solve financial problems, and make a plan to achieve financial goals.
Skills You Will Learn
- interpreting financial statements
- complying with legal requirements
- managing assets
- analyzing market trends
- monitoring financial markets
- valuing businesses and securities
- managing corporate treasury functions
- supporting business operations
- acquiring and deploying financing
- planning individual finances
What Can You Do with a Degree in Finance?
Our finance program positions you for success in a wide variety of career fields including banking, securities, real estate, insurance, manufacturing, services, local and federal government, and entrepreneurship.
Graduates of our finance program go on to work under a variety of titles.
Position titles include:
- chief financial officer
- financial manager
- financial/budget analyst
- financial planner
- business analyst
- loan officer
- securities analyst
- financial consultant
- financial services representative
- financial control and compliance specialist
- valuation analyst
- financial reporting specialist
- billing and credit analyst
- compensation and employee benefits specialist
- entry-level: $33,000 - $65,000
- experienced: $58,000 - $80,000
- management: $75,000 - $200,000
Paying for Your Education
On top of the dozens of scholars offered to all Ball State students, Miller College of Business offers several to its own students. Learn more.
Ready to Apply?
If you’re aiming for an exciting and fruitful career in the diverse world of finance, then a degree in finance from the Miller College of Business is right for you. You’ll need to meet our university’s admission criteria and complete our online application.