On Saturday, April 29, 2023, we recognized our amazing graduates for 2023! The following graduating seniors received awards:
Outstanding Senior – Isabelle Behrman
Outstanding Senior in a Pre-Professional Degree – Megan Teter
Excellence in Undergraduate Research – George Mendoza
Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching – Ashley Anderson
Excellence in Graduate Research – Erwin Doe & Arman Khosravi
Excellence in Graduate Teaching – Joey Markitan
Ralph Joyner Positive Attitude Award – Brock Spahr
Chemistry Departmental Honors – Phillip Betts
On Friday, October 28th 2022, we held our annual Department of Chemistry Fall Awards Tea! The Fall Tea recognizes and awards our outstanding students and honors and remembers people who have made an impact on our lives. Here are the award recipients!
- General Chemistry Awards – Taylor Bias, Aldo Cervantes, Chance Creviston, Joey Grant, Emma
Horton, Lance Manley, Lauren Ontl, Jenna Schifferer, Madi Shepherd, Ella
Talley, Josef Zacek
- The David C. McIntyre Memorial Scholarship – Ella Talley
- Mikal Lynn Sousa Memorial Scholarship – Lexi Mann
- D.J. Angus Scientech Chemistry Award – Nikya Thomas
- The Newell C. Cook Sr. & Jr. Scholarship – Anthony Gullion
- Drs. Nancy & Mohammad Behforouz Chemistry Scholarship – Isabelle Behrman
- Sandra K. And Robert J. Morris Scholarship – Chloe Wetstein
- Cardinal Chemist Scholarship – Phillip Betts
- Dr. Park Wiseman Scholarship – Ashley Anderson, Taylor Bias, Maria Broering, Taylor Desena, Jaclyn
Flandermeyer, George Mendoza, Joell Moss, Madi Shepherd, Zachary Stephens,
Dr. Jason Ribblett, Assistant Professor of Chemistry was awarded the Excellence in Teaching Award on August 21, 2020. Nominated by students, the Excellence in Teaching Award recognizes recipients who are working to make existing courses more engaging and enriching. Nominated for his class, Chemistry 457: Exploration of Selected Topics in Chemistry- Periodic Law, Dr. Ribblett is working to create more innovative teaching opportunities in his classroom and empowering students to examine chemistry beyond their perceived limits.
The Student Affiliates of the American Chemical Society (ACS) won an Honorable Mention at the National ACS Meeting in New Orleans for recognition of their service and also won an Outstanding Organization Public Service Award from the Ball State Student Voluntary Services.
Our faculty members have a long history of being outstanding teachers. In 2008 two faculty members, Scott Pattison and Patricia Lang, were among the 10 finalists for the Excellence in Teaching Award. Lang was selected as one of the winners and taught “The Chemistry of Artists’ Pigments” as her dream course in the spring 2009. In 2010, Tykhon Zubkov also received the Excellence in Teaching Award. The department is proud of his accomplishments and he was able to pursue his dream course "Nanomaterials: The Chemistry Perspective" in the Spring of 2011.