Dr. Jason Ribblett, Assistant Professor of Chemistry was awarded the Excellence in Teaching Award. Nominated by students, the Excellence in Teaching Award recognizes recipients who are working to make existing courses more engaging and enriching. Nominated for his class, Chemistry 457: Exploration of Selected Topics in Chemistry- Periodic Law, Dr. Ribblett is working to create more innovative teaching opportunities in his classroom and empowering students to examine chemistry beyond their perceived limits.
Due to the unprecedented circumstances of the Covid-19 crisis, we were unable to hold our annual Spring Senior Recognition Banquet for Spring 2020, but we were still able to award our awesome students for their remarkable achievements! The awardees are:
- Ralph Joyner Positive Attitude Award - Austin Jones
- Outstanding Senior Award - Alex Quillin
- Outstanding Performance by a Pre-Professional Chemist - John Brown
- Excellence In Undergraduate Research - Tommy Reason
- Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award - Kelsi Auker
- Excellence in Graduate Teaching - Anna-Kay West
- Excellence in Graduate Research - Chris LeMasters
Our 2019 Fall Tea Awards Banquet was held November 1, 2019. This program recognizes and awards our outstanding students and honors and remembers people who have made an impact on our lives. The awards presented included:
- The Newell C. Cook Sr. & Jr. Scholarship - Thomas Reason
- The David C. McIntyre Memorial Scholarship – Kelsey Woodruff
- Mikal Lynn Sousa Memorial Scholarship - John Brown
- Dr. Park Wiseman Scholarship – Nicole Koba, Austin Jones, Aaron Jackson, Kelsi Goshinsky, Alexa Stafford, Moira Monson, L. Rebeca Mena, Sydney Johnson, Princess Walker, Mary Asante
- Sandra K. And Robert J. Morris Scholarship - Joshua Wilson
- Cardinal Chemist Scholarship - Emma Cole
- D.J. Angus Scientech Chemistry Award - Veeda Scammahorn
- General Chemistry - Samantha Turk, Kelsey Woodruff, Joseph Cooper, Emma Lubbehusen, Zahnee Badgley, Abigail Bourne, Nathaniel Proctor, Sydney Yoe, Kaitlyn Blevins
The Student Affiliates of the American Chemical Society (ACS) won an Honorable Mention at the National ACS Meeting in New Orleans for recognition of their service and also won an Outstanding Organization Public Service Award from the Ball State Student Voluntary Services.
Our faculty members have a long history of being outstanding teachers. In 2008 two faculty members, Scott Pattison and Patricia Lang, were among the 10 finalists for the Excellence in Teaching Award. Lang was selected as one of the winners and taught “The Chemistry of Artists’ Pigments” as her dream course in the spring 2009. In 2010, Tykhon Zubkov also received the Excellence in Teaching Award. The department is proud of his accomplishments and he was able to pursue his dream course "Nanomaterials: The Chemistry Perspective" in the Spring of 2011.