STEP 1: ATTEND AN INFO SESSION
Learn more about the position at our upcoming informational sessions! Hear from our Living Learning Community Team about the requirements and responsibilities of the position and selection process, as well as a panel of current APMs. This event is not required but highly encouraged.
- Wednesday, February 1, 6 p.m., Kinghorn MPR
STEP 2: APPLY
Applications open Wednesday, November 30, 2022, and close Sunday, February 5, 2024.
- Log in to the Online Housing Portal with your BSU username and password
- Select “Employment”
- Click on the 2023 - 2024 APM Application
- Begin your Application! Make sure to complete it thoroughly and without error.
APPLY TO BE AN ACADEMIC PEER MENTOR
STEP 3: SIGN UP FOR AND COMPLETE EDHI 200
EDHI 200 is a one-credit hour academic course focused on residence hall leadership and is a required part of the selection process. Students can sign up for EDHI 200 when registering for other spring courses. Employment is contingent upon successfully completing the course with a B grade or higher. The course has a required booklet that is available for purchase at the Ball State Bookstore. Please check the course catalog to see the sections scheduled for the semester, as well as availability.
STEP 4: PARTICIPATE IN AN INTERVIEW
Students who pass the written application will connect with the Living-Learning Community Team in a 30-minute interview. A professional or graduate staff member and 2 current APMs will ask you questions about the position and your skills.
During the interview, applicants will be interviewed by Housing and Residence Life staff members. This is typically a 30-minute interview process. Make sure to arrive on time and ready for your interview on time. Given that this is a professional interview, please dress in business casual attire.
STEP 5: ANTICIPATE A NOTIFICATION LETTER
Following the conclusion of both interview rounds, we will send you one of three letters to your Ball State e-mail address:
- A congratulations letter offering you a position in a specific building or community.
- An alternate letter explaining that while we consider you a hireable candidate we are not extending an offer of employment at this time. If you receive this letter, you will be placed in an alternate pool and will be kept on file for consideration if/when positions become available.
- A letter thanking you for your time and interest in the position.
Please recognize that these decisions (including your placement if hired) are final and not subject to negotiation. If hired, you will need to formally accept the position and complete a contract.