Lohren Deeg is an associate professor of urban planning with 20 years’ experience teaching and 25 years’ experience with community charrettes. He is an award-winning illustrator known for his advocacy of bicycling and public transit and his love of travel. He teaches studio classes and design communications courses and maintains a small illustration practice as a member of the American Society of Architectural Illustrators with clients across the architecture, urban design, and planning disciplines.
- (2004) Master of Architecture, Ball State University, Muncie, Ind.
- (1999) Bachelor of Architecture, Ball State University, Muncie, Ind.
Major Research and Teaching Emphasis
- Urban and town design
- Visual communication
- Representation and delineation
- Site/master planning
- Street-scape elements
- Greenways and trails
- Urban theory, history, social studies
- Graphic layout and design
- Urban photography
- Applied informational technology in teaching and learning
- Foundation level design thinking and teaching
Recent Research and Publications (select)
- Metz, T., Tursky, R., Deeg, L. ‘Re-Design Teaching Design’. Architecture_MPS 18, 1 (2020): 1.
DOI: https://doi.org/10.14324/111.444.amps.2020v18i1.001. Served as guest editor.
- Deeg, L., Metz, T., Tursky, R. ‘Catena: Collaboration, Cohesion and Continuity in Design Thinking and
Making’. Architecture_MPS 18, 1 (2020): 3. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14324/111.444.amps.2020v18i1.003.
- Deeg, L. (N.D.) The Details of Placemaking: A Gallery of Ideas for Cities, Neighborhoods, and Towns.
(Book proposal submitted March 2019.)
- Motloch, J., Truex, S., Deeg, L., & Barber, G. (2018). Sustainable Living & Growing Centers as Energy-
Water-Food-Nexus Management Catalysts. International Journal of Energy Water Food Nexus, 1(1), 1-6.
Retrieved from http://www.ijewfn.org/index.php/ijewfn/article/view/1
- Deeg, L., Burns, S., & Rotar, S. (2018). Engaging the Senses: The Communication of Heritage Through
Narrative and Material Means (pp. 122-127). Territorio, vol 84. Milan, Italy: Planum.
Selected published illustrations and photographs
- WNDU Channel 16 https://www.wndu.com/content/news/SB-Chocolate-Co-gets-grant-from-Indiana-
Tourism-Council-506912221.html Contributing illustrator, March 2019.
- Morris, V. (ed.) (2018). ReCAP Fall 2018. BSU:CAP Alumni outreach newsletter, July 2018.
- Muncie Star Press, First Thursday Arts Walk. Summer 2018.
- VoyageChicago.com, Local Ramen to Warm Your Soul. Contributing photographer, July 2017.
- Muncie Arts Plan, contributing photographer. Summer 2016.
- Muncie Star Press, Muncie Journal, Renderings for CINTAS Building Maker Hub. Summer 2015.
- Lezon, B. (2014). Do over, and over: Digital ideation is made easy on Morpholio Trace 2.0. Landscape
Architecture Magazine, May 2014. Contributing illustrator.
- Kelly, E. (2013). Working with Planning Consultants. Planning Advisory Service Report #573. American
Planning Association, Chicago, Illinois. Contributing photographer.
Selected professional practice experience
- Street sections and corridor typologies, Marvin Planning Consultants, David City NE. April 2021.
- Renderings for “Ryan’s Place” project, Goshen, IN. ANCON Construction, Feb 2021.
- Diagrams for stormwater mitigation, Marvin Planning Consultants, David City NE. July 2020.
- Renderings for the Cheat River, Albright WV, Friends of the Cheat, Kingwood, WV. March 2020.
- Site plan for “Montpelier Agriculture” project, Montpelier IN, Sustainable Communities Inst., Oct 2019.
- Site plans for “Wakarusa Commons” project, Wakarusa IN, Sustainable Communities Inst., Aug-Oct 2019.
- Master plan for “PAWS Campus” project, Albany IN, Sustainable Communities Inst., January 2020.
- Master plan for “Gilbert Tiny Homes” project, Muncie IN, Sustainable Communities Inst., Nov 2019.
- Rendering for “Ox Bow Park Nature Center” project, Elkhart, IN. ANCON Construction, Nov 2019.
- Design concepts and renderings for Clarksburg WV, American Rivers, Washington, DC. March 2019.
- Design concepts and renderings for Kittaning, PA, American Rivers, Washington, DC. July 2018.
- Renderings for IU Health “Farmacy” project, Sustainable Communities Institute, March 2018.
- Renderings for South Bend Chocolate Company, ANCON Construction, Goshen, Indiana. July 2017.
- Mounds Greenway “Trailhead District at River Ridge”, site planning illustrations and conceptual graphics
(with Sustainable Communities Inst.) Hoosier Environmental Council. November 2016.
- Major League Baseball “Urban Farm Teams.
Professional Social Media