Jazz Ensemble 2 maintains an active rehearsal and performance schedule throughout the year. This ensemble focuses on a wide range of classic big band literature and musical styles with an emphasis on mastering the basics of jazz performance: dynamics, articulation, and performance style. Jazz 2 students will also sight read, as well as learn and discuss best practices in large jazz ensemble rehearsal and performance.
- Tuesday—11 – 11:50 a.m.
- Wednesday—6:30 – 8 p.m.
- Thursday—11 – 11:50 a.m.
Hargreaves Music Building (MU), room 117 – Jazz Room
- MUSC 141, section 1B (0 credit – undergraduate)
- MUSC 341, section 1B (1 credit – undergraduate)
Join the Ensemble
All Fall 2022 auditions will be held in person in MU 117 in the Hargreaves Music Building. Signup now for your audition. Please email Director of Jazz Studies Mark Buselli with any questions.
- Wednesday, August 17, 2022 – saxophones (Noon to 6 p.m.)
- Thursday, August 18, 2022 – rhythm section
(Noon to 6 p.m.)
- Friday, August 19, 2022 – brass (Noon to 6 p.m.)
Here are the requirements for your ensemble audition:
- Prepare something that you have been working on or have performed in the past. It could be a tune, a transcribed solo, or a piece of music in a jazz setting.
- All major scales
- Improvise over a B-flat blues
- Sight read