The Studio Jazz Ensemble, commonly called Jazz 2, maintains an active rehearsal and performance schedule throughout the year. This ensemble focuses on a wide range of classic big band literature and musical styles, with an emphasis on mastering the basics of jazz performance: dynamics, articulation and performance style. Students will also sight-read, as well as learn and discuss best practices in large jazz ensemble rehearsal and performance.
- Tuesday—11 – 11:50 a.m.
- Wednesday—6:30 – 8 p.m.
- Thursday—11 – 11:50 a.m.
Hargreaves Music Building (MU), room 117 – Jazz Room
- MUSC 141, section 1B (0 credit – undergraduate)
- MUSC 341, section 1B (1 credit – undergraduate)
Join the Ensemble
**Please note that all Fall 2020 auditions will take place via Zoom with all jazz faculty present. Please email new graduate assistant Aron Callard (firstname.lastname@example.org) to set up your audition time.**
- Wednesday, August 19, 2020 – saxophones
- Thursday, August 20, 2020 – brass
- Friday, August 21, 2020 – rhythm section
A Zoom link will be sent the night before your scheduled audition. Please be in the waiting room 5 minutes before your audition. Please have a backing track with a speaker so we can hear you play something that you have prepared like a jazz standard, jazz transcription, etc. Sight reading will be emailed to you during the audition.
Here are the requirements for your ensemble audition:
- Prepare something that you have been working on or have performed in the past. It could be a tune, a transcribed solo, or a piece of music in a jazz setting.
- All major scales
- Improvise over a B-flat blues
- Sight read