The Jazz Ensemble, commonly called Jazz 3, plays six concerts a year. These students work towards developing sectional and improvisational skills in the jazz style. An emphasis is placed on scales, sight-reading, intonation, ensemble playing and improvisation. Many students start their college jazz experience in this ensemble and work their way to the Jazz Lab Ensemble. Jazz 3 is directed by a graduate assistant and Mark Buselli.
Tuesday and Thursday: 11-11:50 a.m.
Hargreaves Music Building (MU), room 120
- MUSC 141, section 1C (0 credit – undergraduate)
- MUSC 341, section 1C (1 credit – undergraduate)
Join the Ensemble
**Please note that all Fall 2020 auditions will take place via Zoom with all jazz faculty present. Please email new graduate assistant Aron Callard (firstname.lastname@example.org) to set up your audition time.**
- Wednesday, August 19, 2020 – saxophones
- Thursday, August 20, 2020 – brass
- Friday, August 21, 2020 – rhythm section
A Zoom link will be sent the night before your scheduled audition. Please be in the waiting room 5 minutes before your audition. Please have a backing track with a speaker so we can hear you play something that you have prepared like a jazz standard, jazz transcription, etc. Sight reading will be emailed to you during the audition.
Here are the requirements for your ensemble audition:
- Prepare something that you have been working on or have performed in the past. It could be a tune, a transcribed solo, or a piece of music in a jazz setting.
- All major scales
- Improvise over a B-flat blues
- Sight read