Jazz Ensemble 3 plays six concerts a year with students working towards developing sectional and improvisational skills in the jazz style. An emphasis is placed on scales, sight reading, intonation, ensemble playing, and improvisation. Many students start their collegiate jazz experience in this ensemble and work their way to Jazz 1. Jazz 3 is directed by a graduate assistant and Mark Buselli.
Tuesday and Thursday: 11-11:50 a.m.
Hargreaves Music Building (MU), room 120
- MUSC 141, section 1C (0 credit – undergraduate)
- MUSC 341, section 1C (1 credit – undergraduate)
Join the Ensemble
**Please note that all Fall 2021 auditions will take place via Zoom with all jazz faculty present. Please email graduate assistant Aron Callard to set up your audition time.**
- Wednesday, August 18, 2021 – saxophones
- Thursday, August 19, 2021 – brass
- Friday, August 20, 2021 – rhythm section
A Zoom link will be sent the night before your scheduled audition. Please be in the waiting room 5 minutes before your audition. Please have a backing track with a speaker so we can hear you play something that you have prepared like a jazz standard, jazz transcription, etc. Sight reading will be emailed to you during the audition.
Here are the requirements for your ensemble audition:
- Prepare something that you have been working on or have performed in the past. It could be a tune, a transcribed solo, or a piece of music in a jazz setting.
- All major scales
- Improvise over a B-flat blues
- Sight read