- REGISTER HERE (or copy and paste this address into your browser: https://commerce.cashnet.com/BALL_EMS032)
- SELECT REPERTOIRE HERE
Date: February 7-9, 2020
- Conduct the Ball State University Wind Ensemble and Symphony Band in beautiful Sursa Hall.
- Work and collaborate with outstanding conductors and educators.
- Attend an open rehearsal with renowned conductors and composers.
- Participate in discussions dealing with repertoire, score study, rehearsal techniques, conducting technique, gesture and movement, and personal growth.
- Attend a performance by the Ball State Wind Ensemble and Wind Symphony
- Attend a performance by the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra in Sursa Hall (part of Ball State's Arts Alive series)
Conductor: $250 (includes Saturday lunch and ticket to the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra Performance on Sunday afternoon)
- Participants will conduct the Ball State Wind Ensemble and Wind Symphony (approximately 15-20 minutes with each band).
- Receive on-the-spot feedback from the clinicians.
- There is a limit of 10 conductors. Conductors will be selected in the order that their enrollment fee is received.
Observer: $50; $35 for college students (ticket to Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra will need to be purchased separately)
- Observe the conducting sessions.
- Participate in the afternoon lecture and discussion session.
- There is no limit to the number of people in the observer track.
College Students: Register as an Observer at the discounted rate of $35.
1. In the registration link above, choose one individual movement from the following works, or one entire work if the piece is a single movement, to conduct and rehearse with the Wind Ensemble.
- Grainger Irish Tune from County Derry
- Lo Presti Elegy for a Young American
- Persichetti Divertimento for Band
- Schubert/Reynolds Little Symphony for Winds
- Schuman Chester Overture for Band
- Turina/Reed La Procession du Rocio
2. In the registration link above, choose one individual movement from the following works, or one entire work if the piece is a single movement, to conduct and rehearse with the Wind Symphony.
- Bremer Early Light
- Ives Variations on America
- Jacob An Original Suite
- Jolley Ash
- McGinty The Red Balloon
- Williams Caccia and Chorale
Richard Floyd, UIL State Director of Music Emeritus - University of Texas
- 6-6:30 p.m. – Registration (MIB Room 136)
- 6:30-6:45 p.m. – Welcome (MIB 136)
- 7-10:15 p.m. – Open Rehearsal with Ball State Wind Symphony and Wind Ensemble with Guest Clinician
- 8-8:45 a.m. – Registration (MIB Room 136)
- 8:45-9 a.m. – Welcome (Band room, MIB Room 152)
- 9-11:30 a.m. – Conducting Session with Wind Ensemble (Sursa Hall)
- 11:30-noon – Wind Ensemble open rehearsal
- noon-1 p.m. – Lunch (included with workshop fee)
- 1-4:30 p.m. – Lecture/Discussion Sessions (Band room, MIB Room 152)
- 7:30 p.m. – Concert by Ball State Wind Ensemble and Wind Symphony (Sursa Hall)
- 9-11:30 a.m. - Conducting Session with Wind Symphony (MIB Room 152)
- 11:30 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. - Wrap up Lecture/Discussion session (MIB Room 152)
- 12:30 p.m. - Lunch on your own
- 2:00 p.m. - Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra performance (Sursa Hall)
- Ball State University Pittenger Hotel — 765-285-1555
- Comfort Inn & Suites — 765-587-0294
- Courtyard Muncie at Horizon Convention Center — 765-760-4077
- Days Inn — 765-288-2311
- Hampton Inn & Suites — 765-288-8500
- Holiday Inn Express — 765-289-4678
For additional information, contact Thomas Caneva at 765-285-5435 or by email.