2023 Wind Conducting Workshop
February 4-5, 2023
- Option to conduct the Ball State Wind Ensemble in Concert! See "Conductor - Audition Track" below to apply.
- Option to receive a conducting lesson with clinician Craig Kirchhoff! See "Conductor - Audition Track" below to apply.
- Conduct the Ball State University Wind Ensemble and Wind Symphony in beautiful Sursa Hall in a workshop setting.
- Work and collaborate with outstanding conductors and educators.
- Attend an open rehearsal with renowned conductors and composers.
- Participate in discussions dealing with repertoire, score study, rehearsal techniques, conducting technique, gesture and movement, and personal growth.
- Attend a performance by the Ball State Wind Ensemble and Wind Symphony
Conductor - Auditioned Track: $250 (includes Saturday continental breakfast and full lunch)
*New Track* Audition for a chance to conduct the Ball State Wind Ensemble IN CONCERT and receive a conducting lesson from clinician Craig Kirchhoff
- One auditionee will earn the opportunity to conduct the Ball State University Wind Ensemble in Concert on Saturday, February 4! This person will also earn a conducting lesson with Craig Kirchhoff
- Two additional auditionees will earn the opportunity to have a conducting lesson with Craig Kirchhoff.
- To apply: submit resume and link to a 10-minute conducting video (front view) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Conducting Workshop Audition". Performance or rehearsal video is acceptable.
- Applications due by Friday, January 7, 2022. Applicants will be notified of their status by January 14, 2022.
- Those not selected for the Auditioned Track will be automatically placed in the Participant Track
- Participants in this track will receive video recordings of the concert and clinic sessions from the conductors's front view
Conductor - Participant Track: $250 (includes Saturday continental breakfast and full lunch)
- Participants will conduct the Ball State Wind Ensemble and Wind Symphony in a workshop setting (approximately 15-20 minutes with each band).
- Receive on-the-spot feedback from the clinicians.
- There is a limit of 10 conductors. Conductors will be selected in the order that their enrollment fee is received. Positions fill quickly.
- No audition video required.
- Participants in this track will receive video recordings of the clinic sessions from the conductors's front view
Observer: $50; $35 for college students
- Observe the conducting sessions.
- Participate in the afternoon lecture and discussion session.
- There is no limit to the number of people in the observer track.
College Students: Register as an Observer at the discounted rate of $35.
To Register and submit payment, please fill out this form:
REGISTER & SUBMIT PAYMENT
Repertoire selection is based on your preferences and the choices of the other participants. We ask you select your top 3 and we will notify you of the final selections by January 13, 2023.
SELECT REPERTOIRE (Available Soon)
Ball State Wind Ensemble (Saturday)
Ball State Wind Symphony (Sunday)
Conductors may purchase scores in one easy location at Midwest Sheet Music
Friday (Optional Rehearsal Attendance)
- 7:00p.m. - 10:15 p.m. – Open Rehearsal with Ball State Wind Symphony and Wind Ensemble with Guest Clinician and Selected Auditionee
- 8:00 a.m. - 8:45 a.m. – Welcome and Continental Breakfast (Hahn Hall)
- 9:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. – Conducting Session with Wind Ensemble (Sursa Hall)
- 11:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. – Wind Ensemble open rehearsal
- 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. – Lunch (Provided)
- 1:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. – Lecture/Discussion Sessions (Band Room, MIB Room 152)
- 7:30 p.m. – Concert by Ball State Wind Ensemble and Wind Symphony (Sursa Hall)
- 12:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. - Conducting Session with Wind Symphony (Sursa Hall)
- 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. - Wrap up Lecture/Discussion session (MIB Room 152)
- Ball State University Pittenger Hotel — 765-285-1555
- Comfort Inn & Suites — 765-587-0294
- Courtyard Muncie at Horizon Convention Center — 765-760-4077
- Days Inn — 765-288-2311
- Hampton Inn & Suites — 765-288-8500
- Holiday Inn Express — 765-289-4678
For additional information, contact Thomas Caneva at 765-285-5435 or by email.