Dates: February 15-17, 2019
- Conduct the Ball State University Wind Ensemble and Symphony Band in beautiful Sursa Hall.
- Work and collaborate with outstanding conductors and educators.
- Attend an open rehearsal with renowned conductors and composers.
- Participate in discussions dealing with repertoire, score study, rehearsal techniques, conducting technique, gesture and movement, and personal growth.
- Attend a performance by the Ball State Wind Ensemble and Symphony Band.
Conductor: $200 (includes Saturday lunch)
- Participants will conduct the Ball State Wind Ensemble and Symphony Band (approximately 15-20 minutes with each band).
- Receive on-the-spot feedback from the clinicians.
- There is a limit of 10 conductors. Conductors will be selected in the order that their enrollment fee is received.
Observer: $50; $35 for college students
- Observe the conducting sessions.
- Participate in the afternoon lecture and discussion session.
- There is no limit to the number of people in the observer track.
College Students: Register as an Observer at the discounted rate of $35.
1. In the registration link above, choose one individual movement from the following works, or one entire work if the piece is a single movement, to conduct and rehearse with the Wind Ensemble.
- Holst - Second Suite in F
- Grainger - Lincolnshire Posy
- Stuart - Three Ayres from Gloucester
- Whitacre - Lux Aurumque
2. In the registration link above, choose one individual movement from the following works, or one entire work if the piece is a single movement, to conduct and rehearse with the Symphony Band.
- Holst - First Suite in F
- Milhaud - Suite Francaise
- McGinty - The Red Balloon
Cynthia Johnston Turner, Director of Bands, Hugh Hodgson School of Music at the University of Georgia
Omar Thomas, guest composer, Peabody Conservatory
- 6-6:30 p.m. – Registration (MIB Room 136)
- 6:30-6:45 p.m. – Welcome (MIB 136)
- 7-10:15 p.m. – Open Rehearsal with Ball State Symphony Band and Wind Ensemble with Guest Clinician
- 8-8:45 a.m. – Registration (MIB Room 136)
- 8:45-9 a.m. – Welcome (Band room, MIB Room 152)
- 9-11:30 a.m. – Conducting Session with Wind Ensemble (Sursa Hall)
- 11:30-noon – Wind Ensemble open rehearsal
- noon-1 p.m. – Lunch (included with workshop fee)
- 1-4:30 p.m. – Lecture/Discussion Sessions (Band room, MIB Room 152)
- 7:30 p.m. – Concert by Ball State Wind Ensemble and Symphony Band
- noon-3 p.m. – Conducting Session with Symphony Band (Sursa Hall)
- 3-4:30 p.m. – Closing session
- Ball State University Pittenger Hotel — 765-285-1555
- Best Western — 765-282-0600
- Comfort Inn & Suites — 765-587-0294
- Days Inn — 765-288-2311
- Hampton Inn & Suites — 765-288-8500
- Holiday Inn Express — 765-289-4678
- Lees Inn — 765-282-7557
- Signature Inn — 765-284-4200
- Courtyard Muncie at Horizon Convention Center — 765-760-4077
For additional information, contact Thomas Caneva at 765-285-5435 or by email.