The 200,000-square-foot Jo Ann Gora Student Recreation and Wellness Center opened its doors on August 18, 2010 after two years of construction. The Board of Trustees named the building in President Emerita Gora’s honor in recognition of her 10 years of “transformative leadership.”
Contact Sports Facilities
Fitness Room—The multi-level fitness area (totaling 13,000 square feet) provides cardio and strength training areas that include some of the fitness industry’s newest equipment.
Cost: $39 million
Size: 200,000 square feet
Completion Date: August 2010
Suspended Track—Our three-lane, 200-meter indoor track with cardio equipment overlooks Neely Avenue.
Five-Court Gymnasium—The new addition brings the total number to six courts in the facility.
Three Multi-Purpose Rooms—With 5,400 square feet of space, they offer specialized forms of conditioning, Rec Fit classes, and sport clubs.
Indoor Turf Building—The facility has 20,000 square feet with four batting cages and an in-lay baseball diamond.
Rock Climbing Wall—At 1,500 square feet, the area offers bouldering and top roping. Climbing clinics are available. Learn more.
Outdoor Pursuits Rental Center—Outdoor Pursuits has outdoor rental equipment, consultation on trip planning, and the opportunity to register for led trips each semester. Rent equipment.
All of these facilities found in the rec center are in addition to the following existing recreation areas. In total, cardholders have access to over 400,000 square feet of recreational facilities.
- Ball Gym Fitness Room and Track – Auxiliary fitness center with two faculty/staff specific times and a suspended 200-meter track.
- Ball Gym Pool – Six-lane 25 yard pool with average 84-85 degree water.
- Lewellen Pool – Six-lane 25 yard pool with average water temperature of 81 degrees. Separate dive as well.
- Racquetball Courts – Five regulation racquetball courts with ability to convert into wallyball courts.
- RC 141 – Auxiliary space with availability for basketball, volleyball, and badminton.