Ball State students who are experiencing financial crisis may be eligible for a one-time grant from the Jack Beyerl Emergency Aid Fund. The value of the grant is based on a student's specific needs, but typically does not exceed $500. As a one-time award, the grant is not intended to provide ongoing relief for recurring expenses. The grant is subject to availability of funds and extent of need.

Assistance is available to students who are unable to meet immediate, essential expenses such as securing food, temporary safe living arrangements, and covering necessary educational and living expenses. If approved, the grant will be disbursed to the direct deposit account on file. Students without a direct deposit account on file will be issued a check that will be mailed to the student address on file. To avoid a delay in receiving your funds, sign up for direct deposit.

The grant will be awarded directly to the student and will not be applied to any outstanding University charges.

Examples of Immediate, Essential Expenses

  • food
  • rent, especially when late or facing eviction
  • emergency temporary lodging and emergency break housing
  • travel expenses to and from campus for family emergencies
  • educational expenses and materials, including textbooks
  • short-term child care assistance
  • small short-term bills, such as one month’s phone bill or other utility bill
  • personal hygiene items and laundry expenses
  • other short-term expenses that affect a student’s ability to stay in school


To be eligible to receive a Jack Beyerl Emergency Aid Fund Grant, the student must:

  • be currently enrolled with full-time status and admitted to a Muncie-campus degree program through the Office of Admissions or the Graduate School for the current term or future term
    • a full-time undergraduate student, as defined for the purpose of classification for financial aid, is a student registered for 12 or more credits in any semester
    • a full-time graduate student, as defined for the purpose of classification for financial aid, is a student registered for 9 or more credits in any semester
  • have a minimum GPA of 2.0 for undergraduate students, minimum GPA of 3.0 for masters students, and minimum GPA of 3.2 for PhD students
  • complete the Emergency Grant Application in its entirety
  • submit supporting documentation to verify expenses
  • have room in their financial aid budget (unmet need in their Cost of Attendance)
  • have exhausted their federal financial aid, including federal student loans

*Pending available funds, grant eligibility is otherwise at the discretion of Student Affairs

Examples of Supporting Documentation

  • grocery receipts
  • bills, including but not limited to, phone, utility, rent/housing expenses, medical care, and child care
  • copies of lease/rental agreements
  • receipts from educationally related expenses, such as technology equipment, internet, and supplies

How to Apply

The Jack Beyerl Student Emergency Aid Grant for Spring 2024 is now closed.  The Jack Beyerl Student Emergency Aid Grant will open for the Fall 2024 semester on Monday, August 26th, 2024.  If you need emergency financial support or basic needs assistance for Summer 2024, please submit a Basic Needs Assistance Form to connect with a staff member who can help you navigate available resources.

Consistent with federal financial aid regulations, the approval process will include a review of the student’s financial aid package to determine eligibility to receive funds.

Supported By

The student emergency aid fund is now proudly supported by PepsiCo. It is through the generous contributions of our donors and PepsiCo that this support is available to students

How to Support

Contributions from alumni and donors make a difference for students who face unexpected emergencies. You can support the Jack Beyerl Emergency Aid Fund by making a gift online to "Student Emergency Aid" through the Ball State University Foundation.


The Jack Beyerl Emergency Aid Grant is administered through the Office of Student Affairs. For inquiries please contact the Office of Student Affairs.

Contact Us