Summer aid will not be processed until you have registered for summer classes. Subsequent changes in enrollment may affect your eligibility for aid already awarded.

Summer 2018 Aid Policies

You must have a 2017-18 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file and have submitted any additional information requested by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.

Summer Pell Grant eligibility depends on prior academic year usage. The award amount will be based on your enrollment status at the end of the first week of summer semester. Therefore, it is important to register for ALL intended summer credit hours for summer semester, First Summer Session, and Second Summer Session by May 19, 2018.

The priority application deadline for Summer is July 1, 2018.  Requests received after the priority date may not be processed.

Financial Aid Refunds

Students who have signed up for Direct Deposit will have their financial aid refunds deposited into their bank account by the first day of summer class (May 14). Students who have not signed up for Direct Deposit will have their financial aid refund checks mailed to them the first week of summer classes.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

The U.S. Department of Education requires that students demonstrate Satisfactory Academic Progress in order to continue receiving aid. Please review the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy to be sure that you will be eligible for Summer 2018 aid. If Spring 2018 grades are needed to determine eligibility, your request for federal assistance will be processed but funds will not be released until after spring grades are reviewed.

Federal Direct Stafford Loan Programs

Once you have enrolled for summer, you will receive notification of summer application procedures on MyBSU. Follow the instructions provided to apply for a federal Direct Stafford loan.

You must be registered for at least half-time total summer enrollment (6 hours undergraduate or 5 hours graduate) before your loan will be processed.

You may be eligible to borrow the maximum for your grade level every two semesters. If your borrowing period involves any term other than the normal academic year, be aware that borrowing more than half of your eligibility during the first term can affect the amount you are eligible to receive in the second term.

If you borrowed during the 2017-18 academic year, the amount you borrowed could affect your eligibility for summer. If you borrow during Summer 2018, it may affect your loan eligibility for the Fall Semester 2018.
Learn more about the federal Direct Stafford loan program.

Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan

Parents with dependent children may borrow through this program, which can cover the difference between the cost of attendance and any aid their child is receiving.

Parents must apply online at You must be registered for at least half-time total summer enrollment (6 credit hours).

First-time borrowers must also complete a Parent PLUS Master Promissory Note.

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

Graduate students may borrow up to the cost of attendance minus any other financial aid.  Graduate PLUS borrowers must complete the application online at First-time borrowers must also complete a Graduate PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note. You must be registered for at least half-time total summer enrollment (5 hours).

Presidential Scholarships

If you have a Presidential Scholarship and want to use it during the summer, you must contact our associate director, Rob Wirt. Use of the Presidential Scholarship during the summer will count as one semester of eligibility regardless of enrollment status.

Child of Veterans and Officers (CVO)

The Indiana Child of Veteran and Public Safety Officer Supplemental Grant Program (CVO) awards will automatically be awarded if you received CVO funding during the academic year preceding the summer term and if you are eligible. If you did not, you must notify our office that you want to use the CVO award. The CVO program requires that a completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the 2017-18 academic year be on file with our office.

Study Abroad

Federal regulations require Stafford Loans to have two disbursements when applying to Study Abroad programs.  The first disbursement will occur at the beginning of your enrollment period and the second disbursement will occur at the mid-point of your enrollment period.  If you have not already met with a financial aid adviser regarding your trip costs, please contact our office to make an appointment.