The Academy for Community Leadership (ACL) is a unique, 10-week program each fall for people who want to be more involved in community efforts in Muncie/Delaware County. The program is offered by the Muncie-Delaware County Chamber of Commerce and Ball State’s Office of Community Engagement.
Academy participants learn from community leaders about Muncie’s history, current strengths, and future aspirations and connect with civic-minded colleagues from a variety of professions.
- Duration: 10 weeks (September through November)
- Times: 7:30-10 a.m.
Each session is hosted at a different Muncie/Delaware County location to provide greater exposure to our community’s many assets.
Each week features a panel of community leaders/experts:
- “Muncie History”
- “Local Government and Politics”
- “The Role of Religion in the Community”
- “Community Planning Perspectives”
- “Business and Economic Perspectives”
- “Social, Cultural, and Artistic Perspectives”
- “Education and Its Role in the Community”
- “Health Services in the Community”
Academy participants also attend a Muncie City Council meeting and complete a small-group volunteer experience.
- Chamber members: $300 per person
- Non-Chamber members: $350 per person
Space is limited to 35 people for each class.
How to Register
Contact Brenda Brumfield, Muncie-Delaware County Chamber of Commerce.
Special Offer for ACL Alumni
Individuals who successfully complete the Academy for Community Leadership program are eligible to enroll in Shafer Leadership Academy’s eight-week, highly interactive Emergence program at the reduced price of $500—a savings of $200. Learn more.