If you have a Ball State Merit Scholarship (ie, the Presidential Scholarship, Scholars Award, Distinction Scholarship, Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship, Beneficence Grant, or Impact Grant) or another Ball State merit scholarship, that scholarship will apply to your tuition/fee charges first. If there are remaining funds, then those can be applied to housing and meal charges. If you are living on-campus, this will happen automatically. If you will be living off-campus, you can still take advantage of the scholarship through one of the options outlined below:
- You can have the scholarship apply to rent at Anthony or Scheidler Apartments
- You can have the scholarship apply to meal charges through a commuter meal plan
Students cannot use these scholarships for Dining Plus, Dining Cash, Cardinal Cash, other charges, nor can it be issued as a refund.
If you choose to live in Anthony or Scheidler Apartments, there are no additional steps you need to take to have your scholarship apply to your rent charges. This will happen automatically; however since rent is charged on a monthly basis, your scholarship will be reduced by that partial amount each month until the full amount is used.
If you choose to use the scholarship for a commuter meal plan you need to:
- Charge a commuter meal plan to your Ball State account. A list of meal plans and instructions can be found online.
- Once the meal plan charge appears on your university bill then the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will review it and make sure your scholarship is large enough to cover the expense. If it is, there is nothing you need to do. If the meal plan charge is larger than your available scholarship funds, then you will need to pay the difference. Either way, you do not need to contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.
- If you need additional meals and still have money remaining from your scholarship, you can purchase a new meal plan when you have 10 or fewer meals remaining on your current plan.
- This process must be repeated every semester you wish to purchase a new meal plan using your scholarship.
- Commuter meal plans are good for fall and spring semester (not available to use or purchase for summer), and expire at the end of spring semester each year.