Are you interested in our master of social work program? Then it’s time to apply!
Please review our admission requirements, dates and deadlines, and instructions. Then complete our online application.
Advanced Standing Program
Students who have already earned a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) from a CSWE-accredited institution, regardless of when they earned their degree, can apply for the Advanced Standing Program and complete the MSW in as little as one year.
Application and materials are due on the specified dates by 11:59 p.m. Eastern time.
Dates and Deadlines
The priority deadline for full financial aid consideration is February 1.
All applications are due by July 1.
Before You Begin...
If you are an international student – someone who has or plans to acquire a visa to study in the U.S. – our International Admissions staff will help you through the admissions process and your unique requirements.
If you are a current, admitted Ball State student but have not taken classes for more than a year or if you received a "Re-Admit" error when attempting to register for classes, you need to select the:
“Re-enroll (previous Ball State graduate students only)” option under “Academic Intent” in the application.
Do not choose the Re-enroll Applicant Type if you are any of the following:
- a first-time applicant to a Ball State graduate program
- applying for a new or different program or certificate than one in which you are already enrolled
- previously applied for a program but never attended any classes
1. Review admission requirements and prepare materials.
You must have earned a minimum of a 2.75 GPA from the undergraduate degree-granting institution.
Our program does not require you to take the GRE.
You will upload the following materials when you complete the online application.
Include the names, titles, and contact information for two professional recommendations.
Include your current resume with previous education, work, volunteer or internship experiences. Include all current licenses and states where you are able to practice. There is no page limit for this document.
Discuss significant factors influencing your decision to pursue a Master of Social Work degree (MSW) at Ball State University.
Include information regarding your career goals, as well as volunteer, professional (paid), research, and leadership experience that will contribute to your success as a graduate student and in the social work profession.
If your undergraduate GPA was below 3.0, please tell us the circumstances, what you have learned since, and what factors will make you successful in graduate school.
All personal statements should be between 700-1,000 words.
APA formatting is not necessary for this narrative.
Please submit an original sample of your academic writing skills using one of the following prompts:
- What are the primary challenges and rewards of working in rural communities?
- What are the main ethical dilemmas and safeguards for working with people in active addiction?
- What are the micro and macro issues surrounding health care in the United States?
- What are the causes and consequences of the disproportionate number of children of color in the child welfare and foster care system?
- What are the top challenges and solutions for working with elders who are aging-in-place?
- What are the opportunities and threats facing non-profit or community development leaders?
In your writing, include key factors contributing to the issue, recommendations for intervention and/or social change to address the issue, and challenges likely to surface in seeking a solution. Your writing should reflect a strong use of peer-reviewed academic sources as well as knowledge of the values and ethics of the National Association of Social Workers (NASW).
All writing samples should be original work—not something submitted elsewhere—and should be between 1,000-1,500 words in length, not including title or references.
Your writing should be formatted in APA 6th edition style for in-text citations, title page, and references.
2. Prepare your transcripts.
Ball State must receive transcripts for all applicants. Please review our instructions before you apply. (You do not need to submit Ball State transcripts in order to apply.)
Complete our online application.
Applications are $60 per program.
You can pay your application fee (nonrefundable) with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover. Or you may pay online with an electronic check from a U.S. bank.
You do not have to pay the application fee if you are a:
- McNair Scholar
- Ball State student currently enrolled in classes or alumni
- current Ball State employee (full-time, benefits-eligible)
- veteran or active-duty military
- guest student seeking credits to transfer to another institution
- prospective student who attended a Ball State graduate program information session
If you are in one of these categories, make sure to select the fee waiver option in the application. When selecting "I attended an informational session" option in the fee waiver section of the application, list the information session title and date.
If you would like to learn more about our department, we encourage you to call or visit us to meet one-on-one with a faculty member. You can also email any questions you may have to Greta Slater.