Interested in seeing if ROTC or the Army is for you? Attend Basic Camp at Fort Knox military base for 31 days of training. No commitment to ROTC or the Army is required. For some Ball State majors, the camp can count as an internship.
Basic Camp will help you develop leadership and critical thinking skills needed to succeed. Students learn:
- how to plan and execute tactical missions at the squad level in a platoon setting
- confidence through training that includes rappel, log walk/rope drop, and obstacle courses
- basic rifle marksmanship
- about chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear tasks through training to develop confidence in protective mask and chemical protective clothing
- what is needed to pass a physical fitness test
- how to prepare to lead a team (three-four cadets) and squad (nine-13 cadets).
Camp training is free and includes lodging and meals. Deadline to sign up for Basic Camp is April 30. Meet with Tony Smithson to learn more and/or prequalify.
Basic Camp Details
Basic Camp is at the Army’s Fort Knox military base, south of Louisville and north of Elizabethtown in Kentucky. Camp is conducted:
- June 21–July 22
- June 26–July 27
- July 1–August 1
- July 6–August 6
- July 11–August 11
- July 16–August 16
Basic Camp is designed for college students, typically the summer before their junior year and for seniors planning to start a graduate program. Upon successful completion, graduates can take part in ROTC at Ball State as a third-year student in the four-year program.