The undergraduate coaching minor prepares you to coach student-athletes from pre-kindergarten through college. The program emphasizes administration, coaching sports, coaching methods, fitness training assessment, motor development, and anatomy/physiology. We also offer instruction on scientific techniques to observe and analyze skill performances and athletic training classes to aid risk management and injury prevention.
The coaching minor develops the knowledge, skills, and professional attitudes and behaviors necessary for an entry-level coaching professional. The academic and coaching instructors continually strive to provide the students with the most current evidence-based techniques and teaching practices through their own continued professional education.
This minor works well with majors in:
What You Will Learn
The program emphasizes:
- Coaching sports
- Coaching methods
- Fitness training assessment
- Motor development
Admission requirements include:
- attain minimum overall GPA of 2.5 a time of application
- completion of KINE 231 with a C or better
- completion of at least 10 hours of documented field experience in competitive athletic coaching
- completion of the School of Kinesiology Minor in Coaching Application
If you want to learn more about this minor, contact Bill Zenisek.
A few of the classes you will take include:
- Athletic Safety and Injury Prevention
- Foundations of Coaching
- Psychological/Social Issues in Sport
- Introduction to Sport Administration
For a complete list of all the courses you will take and their descriptions, please see our Course Catalog.