About Mary Moore
Ms. Mary Moore has been in instructor in the Department of Communication Studies at Ball State University for 17 years. As the Director of the university’s number nationally- ranked speech team, Mary teaches, coaches, and completes research in the area of public speaking and nonverbal communication. She has received numerous awards and honors for her teaching and coaching over the past fifteen years, including the 2014 Department of Communication Studies excellence in service award, and the 2013 College of Communication & Media outstanding teacher of the year award and 2015 extraordinary service award. When she’s not teaching Mary is dedicated to working on gun violence prevention and spending time with her husband and three beautiful children.
M.A., Ball State University
B.S., Northwest Missouri State University
- Competitive Forensics: Speech and Debate
COMM 210 Fundamentals of Public Speaking
COMM 240 Introduction to Human Communication
COMM 375 Presentational Communication
Awards and Honors
- 2017 I.E. Norton Award (for commitment, compassion, and dedication to collegiate forensics), Bradley University
- 2016 Outstanding Teacher Award, Delta Sigma Chapter, Ball State University
- 2015 Extra Ordinary Service, College of Communication, Information & Media
- 2013 Excellence in Teaching, College of Communication, Information & Media
- 2013 Service Award, Department of Communication Studies
- NFA, National Council, elected at-large representative, 2014 - 2018
- Executive Sectary of National Council, DSR-TKA
- Editorial Review Board, National Forensic Journal, Reviewer 2014 - 2018
- Tabulation staff at National Forensic Association National tournament, 2014- Present
- Tabulation Staff, Indiana State Individual Events Tournament, 2007- Present
- Vice-President, Indiana Forensic Association, 2018 - 2020
- Facilitator at Shafer Leadership Academy, 2017- present
- Presenter: “Are we all Just Surrogate Therapists? Navigating the Dialectics of Advocating Team Member Mental Health While Encouraging Rigorous Participation in Collegiate Forensics.” National Communication Association, Dallas, TX, NV, November, 2017.
- Presenter: "Redefining accommodation in forensics: A feminist disability critique of the status quo.” National Communication Association, Chicago, IL, November, 2014.
- Presenter: "An Analysis of Ann Romney and Michelle Obama’s 2012 Convention Speeches: The Debate Over the Meaning of Mother" with Kristen McCauliff , National Communication Association , Washington D.C., November, 2013.
- Chair: [Dis]connections. National Communication Association, Washington D.C., November, 2013.
- Presenter: "Making connections with metaphors: Embodied metaphors as the road map to directing forensics." National Communication Association, Washington D.C., November, 2013.
- Presenter: “A Critical Choice for the National Forensic Association: Elaborating on Voice versus Genre in Oral Interpretation.” Southern States Communication Association, Louisville, KY, April 2013.