About Marcy Meyer
A native of New Hampshire, Marcy Meyer (BS, Georgetown University; MA, PhD, Michigan State University) is an Associate Professor in the Department of Communication Studies at Ball State University. A winner of the 1996 Charles W. Redding Dissertation Award and the 2001 Central States Communication Organization Federation Prize for Outstanding Research, Marcy has presented and published her research about organizational communication, innovation, mentoring, and diversity internationally. A recipient of the 2017-2018 Creative Teaching Grant and the 1999 Excellence in Leadership Teaching Award, Marcy teaches classes in organizational communication and research methods at both the graduate and undergraduate levels. An active proponent of diversity at Ball State University, Marcy serves as a member of the University Diversity Committee, a faculty mentor for Disability Services, a mentor for the PhD Pathways Program, and president of the Delaware County, Indiana chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). Marcy’s commitment to service has been recognized with the NAMI Indiana Outstanding Member Award and the 2015 CCIM Social Responsibility Award.
Ph.D., Michigan State University
M.S., Michigan State University
B.A., Georgetown University
- Organizational Communication
- Health Communication
- Research Poetry
COMM 351 Communication in Organizations
COMM 441 Contemporary Issues in Organizational Communication
COMM 465 Human Communication Inquiry
COMM 605 Qualitative Research in Communication
COMM 651 Organizational Communication: Interpersonal and Intrapersonal Processes
COMM 652 Organizational Systems and Cultures
COMM 441/652 Creative Approaches to Studying Organizational Culture
Awards and Honors
- Recipient of the Ball State University Creative Teaching Grant, 2017-2018
- Recipient of the Office of Institutional Diversity Diversity Research Award, 2017
- Recipient of the CCIM Social Responsibility Award, 2015
- Recipient of the NAMI Indiana Outstanding Member Award, 2014
- Office of Institutional Diversity Fellow, 2014
- Diversity Associates Fellow, Ball State University, 1999-2000, 2010-2011
- Associate Editor, Art/Research International: A Transdisciplinary Journal, 2017-present
- Reviewer, Fulbright National Screening Committee, 2016-present
- Member, University Diversity Committee member, 2008-present
- PhD Pathways Mentor, 2012-present
- Disability Services Faculty Mentor, 2006-present
- Departmental Liaison, Honors in Writing Program, 2002-present
- Member, CCIM Diversity Interest Group 2005-2018
- Member, Departmental Promotion and Tenure Committee, 2003-2018
- Reviewer, Oxford University Press, 2017.
- Reviewer, International Journal of Mentoring and Coaching in Education, 2016.
Meyer, M. (2017). Concrete research poetry: A visual representation of metaphor. Art/Research International: A Transdisciplinary Journal, 2, 32-57.
- Meyer, M. (2015). Dialectical tensions experienced by diversified mentoring dyads. International Journal of Mentoring and Coaching in Education, 4, 21-36.
- Meyer, M. & Warren-Gordon, K. (2013). Marginal mentoring in the contact space: Diversified mentoring relationships at a midsized midwestern state university. The Qualitative Report, 18, 1-18.