Special Assistant for Academic Operations and Teaching Professor of Communication Studies
About Jacquelyn Buckrop
Jackie came to BSU in 1990 as an assistant professor in the then department of Speech Communication. She served as the Director of COMM 210 from 1993-2000, and became Associate Dean of the College of Communication, Information and Media from 1998-2008. Served as the first Director of the Center for Media Design and managed the $20 million dollar iCommunication grant from 2001-2002. Jackie became Assistant to the Provost in 2008. She is proud to be a Cardinal, but she also loves Indy Car racing and the Chicago Cubs.
Ph.D., Purdue University
M.S., Miami University
B.S., Ball State University
- Pedagogical issues in the core course in communication
- Assessment of the core course in communication
- Accessibility of instruction for students with disabilities
- Burkean methodologies
COMM 201 Introduction to Communication Studies
COMM 240 Introduction to Human Communication
COMM 320 Persuasion
COMM 401 Senior Seminar in Communication Studies
COMM 612 Rhetorical Criticism
Awards and Honors
- Steward Award. Presented by the College of Communication, Information, and Media, 2018.
- Access Award 2014. Presented by Disability Services Office
- Ball State University Outstanding Administrator, 2012-2013
- Reviewer, National Communication Association. Basic Course Division. 2013-2017
- Reviewer, Communication Teacher. 2005-2007, 2009- present
- Member, Emens Scholarship Committee. 2013-present
- Co-Lead, Enterprise Resource Planning, Student-Financial Aid Team. 2011-2017
- Academic Affairs Representative, Behavioral Intervention Team
- Academic Affairs Representative, Student Organization Budget Review and Selection. 2009-present
- Member, Immersive Learning Advisory Committee. 2008-present
- Member, Cohen Peace Fellows Committee. 2008-present
- Provost’s Designee, Diversity Committee. 2008-present
- Provost’s Designee, Contract Faculty Affairs Committee. 2008-present
Selected Publications & Presentations
- Simonds, C. Buckrop, J., Redmond, M. & Hefferin Quianthy, D. (2012). Revised resolution on the role of communication in general education. National Communication Association http://www.natcom.org/BasicCourse/
- Buckrop, Jacquelyn J. Design Challenges for Teaching Communication Online. National Communication Association, Las Vegas, NV 2015.
- Buckrop, Jacquelyn. In Defense of Our Discipline: The Role of Communication in General Education. National Communication Association, Washington D.C., 2013.
- Wallace, S, Buckrop, J., & Valenzano, J. Developing Sustainable Courses. National Communication Association, Washington D.C., 2013.
- Buckrop, Jacquelyn J. It’s a Duesy: The Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum, Metonymy and Perspective by Incongruity. National Communication Association, Orlando, FL. 2012.
- McCauliff, K., Messner, B., & Buckrop, J. Burke Gone Wild: A Pentadic Analysis of a Campus Controversy. Central States Communication Association, Cleveland, OH, March 2012.
- Buckrop, Jacquelyn J. Assessment of the Basic Course in the Core Curriculum Revisited. Basic Course Director’s Conference. Normal, IL 2012. (Invited Keynote)
- Buckrop, Jacquelyn J. Directing the Basic Course as Professional Development. Basic Course Director’s Conference, Las Vegas, NV, Jan. 2010.