Digital fabrication is the way of the future, and this laser lab allows you to engage in this process that joins design with production through the use of 3D modeling software or computer-aided design (CAD) and additive and subtractive manufacturing processes.
The "Fab Lab," as we call it, contains equipment for designing and making 1:1 prototypes of building and furniture components, as well as smaller-scale models. Located in the Architecture Building, room 031, the lab is part of the CAP shops, which includes the wood shop, metal shop and paint room.
For more information, contact Judy Kreiger.
Hours of Operation
You may only enter the Laser Lab through AB 031 and the Wood Shop in AB 029. If either of those doors are closed, that respective area is closed.
Reservations and walk-in
- Time may be reserved in 20-minute increments totaling one hour per day, 3 times per week.
- Unreserved time slots may be used on a first‐come first‐served basis.
- BE ON TIME! If you are not here within 4 minutes of your scheduled appointment, your reserved time slot will be given to a peer, who is on stand-by as a walk-in, five minutes after your scheduled time.
- SIGN IN when you arrive to use a walk-in or a scheduled machine
- NEVER leave a project unattended! While your file is cutting on the laser, YOU MUST REMAIN IN THE ROOM, ensuring that you project cuts safely. If you leave your project, the machine will be shut down.
Lasers may only be used by CAP students, faculty, and staff. For individuals or groups outside the college, you must have permission to use the FABLAB and shop facilities. For permission, contact Dave Ferguson, Interim Dean of the College of Architecture and Planning.
Laser Cutter Instructions
The maximum thickness of material used on the laser cutter is 1/4-inch. Materials greater than 1/4-inch thickness must be cut on a saw or with another cutting method or tool.
Permitted materials on the lasers include: Acrylic (from the CRC), Matte Board, Illustration Board, Chip Board, Balsa Wood, Bass Wood, Plywood, and Masonite. All materials MUST be 1/4-inch thickness or less.
Materials NOT permitted on the lasers include: Foam Core, PVC, Steel, or metal of any kind.
Note: If you use a material or thickness that is not allowed on the lasers, you may lose your laser lab privileges.