Digital fabrication is the way of the future, and this laser lab allows you to engage in this process that joins design with production through the use of 3D modeling software or computer-aided design (CAD) and additive and subtractive manufacturing processes.
The "Fab Lab," as we call it, contains equipment for designing and making 1:1 prototypes of building and furniture components, as well as smaller-scale models. Located in the Architecture Building, room 031, the lab is part of the CAP shops, which includes the woodshop, metal shop, and paint room.
For more information, contact Judy Kreiger.
You may only enter the Laser Lab through AB 031 and the Wood Shop in AB 029. If either door is closed, that respective area is closed.
About the Laser Lab
The Laser Lab in the Architecture Building is a CAP STUDENTS only facility.
Individuals and groups outside the college must have permission to use the laser lab. Contact CAP Dean, David Ferguson.
- CAP students may only use the laser cutter after they have been trained by a faculty person.
- CAP 1st Year Students may not use the lasers.
- Always sign in and out at the check‐in desk. Your sign‐in indicates the lab is being used. You will be asked to provide your: First Name, Last Name and Class (ex: ARCH 263, LA 211, etc) and Time of arrival.
- Never leave a project unattended while the laser is in operation. YOU MUST REMAIN IN THE ROOM, ensuring that your project cuts safely. If you leave your project, it will be shut down.
- The Lab may only have 5 students in it at a time. 1 person at each laser cutter (4) and 1 person at the mat cutter.
Scheduling and walk-in policy
Sign up schedule is available at the check-in desk. The new weekly schedule is available each Wednesday afternoon.
Students are permitted to sign up for 1 hour per day, per person with a maximum of 2 hours per week. This is a change from last semester’s policy.
- 2 – 18 x 32 lasers closest to the Scrap Room and main entrance are scheduled.
1 hour per day, per person, maximum 2 times a week.
- Unreserved time slots will be used on a first‐come first‐served basis
- It is anticipated that if you schedule an appointment for one of these laser cutters that you will arrive on time for that appointment. If you are 4 minutes late for your appointment, it will be given to the next person in line. Missed appointments will be noted by the FAB Lab Attendant on duty.
Individuals who fail to show up or cancel appointments will receive a non‐refundable $10 fine to their Bursar account for missing their appointment. If you need to cancel your appointment call 765‐285‐5864.
- The 18 x 24 (PLS 460) and the 18 x 32 (PLS 6150) located next to the attendants station are walk‐in only. A walk‐in laser is for individuals who need to make quick cuts.
Laser Cutter Instructions
The laser lab is for model making. Material settings are provided for the following:
- Acrylic (from the CRC)
- Mat Board
- Illustration board
- Balsa Wood
- Bass Wood
- Chip Board
Other materials not listed require special permission from Judy Kreiger.
Materials not permitted
- Foam Core
Steel or any other metal
Maximum material thickness to be cut in the laser is ¼ inch. Material thicknesses greater than ¼” should use a different cutting method.
NOTE: If you use a material type or a thickness that is not allowed on the lasers, you may lose your laser lab privileges.
NEVER leave a project unattended! While your file is cutting on the laser, YOU MUST REMAIN IN THE ROOM, ensuring that your project cuts safely. If you leave your project, the machine will be shut down.