Digital fabrication is the way of the future, and this laser lab allows you to engage in this process that joins design with production through the use of 3D modeling software or computer-aided design (CAD) and additive and subtractive manufacturing processes.
The "Fab Lab," as we call it, contains equipment for designing and making 1:1 prototypes of building and furniture components, as well as smaller-scale models. Located in the Architecture Building, room 031, the lab is part of the CAP shops, which includes the wood shop, metal shop and paint room.
For more information, contact Judy Kreiger.
Hours | May 13 to July 19
You may only enter the Laser Lab through AB 031 and the Wood Shop in AB 029. If either of those doors are closed, that respective area is closed.
Laser Lab will close at 1 pm tomorrow, Friday, June 14th for the University’s Centennial Celebration.
Monday--8:00 to 12:30 and 1:00 to 4:00 pm
Tuesday--8:00 to 12:30 and 1:00 to 4:00 pm
Wednesday--8:00 to 12:30 and 1:00 to 4:00 pm
Thursday--8:00 to 12:30 and 1:00 to 4:00 pm
Friday--8:00 to 12:30 and 1:00 to 4:00 pm
Closed on university holidays, breaks, and during Fall field trip week.
Scheduling and walk-in policy
Sign up schedule is available at the check-in desk. The new weekly schedule is available each Wednesday afternoon.
Students are permitted to sign up for 1 hour per day, per person with a maximum of 2 hours per week. This is a change from last semester’s policy.
- 2 – 18 x 32 lasers nearest to the check-in desk are scheduled.
1 hour per day, per person, maximum 2 times a week.
- It is anticipated that if you schedule an appointment for one of these laser cutters that you will arrive on time for that appointment. Missed appointments will be noted by the FAB Lab Attendant on duty. Individuals who fail to show up or cancel appointments will receive a non-refundable $10 fine to their Bursar account for missing their appointment.
- The two lasers closest to the wood shop are walk-in only. A walk-in laser is for individuals who need to make quick cuts.
- Unreserved time slots will be used on a first-come first-served basis
- If you are 4 minutes late for your appointment, it will be given to the next person in line.
- It will be noted if you do not show up for your appointment. Students who fail to cancel appointments will receive a non-refundable $10 fine. This fine will be charged to your Bursar account just like Wood Shop tool charges.
Lasers may only be used by CAP students, faculty, and staff. For individuals or groups outside the college, you must have permission to use the FABLAB and shop facilities. For permission, contact Dave Ferguson, Interim Dean of the College of Architecture and Planning.
Laser Cutter Instructions
The maximum thickness of materials used on the laser cutters is 1/4-inch. For materials greater than 1/4-inch thickness, a saw should be used.
The laser lab is for model making. All materials MUST be 1/4-inch thickness or less. Permitted materials on the lasers include:Acrylic (from the CRC only),Matte Board, Illustration Board, Chip Board, Balsa Wood, Bass Wood, Plywood, and Masonite. Power settings are provided for each of the permitted materials.
Materials NOT permitted on the lasers include: Foam Core, PVC, Steel, or metal of any kind. Other materials not listed here require special permission before use by Judy Kreiger.
NOTE: If you use a material or thickness that is not allowed on the lasers, you may lose your laser lab privileges.
NEVER leave a project unattended! While your file is cutting on the laser, YOU MUST REMAIN IN THE ROOM, ensuring that you project cuts safely. If you leave your project, the machine will be shut down.