The ASPiRE Student Research Program hopes to support students in the process of study or discovery that will produce new insights, theories, or will apply such knowledge to problem solving within the discipline or in society.
For this competition the maximum amount of money awarded is $700 for graduate students, $300 for all others, which can be used to cover SEET-related costs. We ask students to have a faculty mentor and to work closely with them while preparing for this competition.
Please review the competition guide for more information. Apply for this grant through our online portal. Recipients must also provide a final report.
Fall Deadline for Graduate, October 20
Fall Deadline for Undergraduate, November 10
Spring Deadline for Graduate, January 20
Spring Deadline for Undergraduate, February 10
Read Guidelines (PDF)
Congratulations to the following recipients of this grant for the 2019-2020 Academic Year:
- Siara Sandwith (CSH) – "The effect of G4 Resolvase 1 (G4R1) on the transcription of an abnormal DNA sequence linked to ALS”
- Maggie Shady (CSH) – “The Relationship Between Reading, Character Morality, and Empathy”
- Austin Jones (CSH) – "Synthesis of Quinoline-5,8-Diones as Antitumor agents"
- Olivia Hovermale (CSH) – "Depression and its Effects on Emoji"
- Kyle Richards (CSH) – "The Effect of Molecular Tags on Translocon Function"
- Colton Large (CSH) – "The Role of Sox17 in Coronary Angiogenesis"
- Dillon Kuszmaul (COH) – "Carbohydrate Mouth Rinse During Variable Intensity Exercise: Effects on Performance in Boys and Girls"
- Rachel McCormick (COH) – "The Comparison of Lower Extremity Landing Mechanics in Female Athletes Following a Foam Rolling and Dynamic Warmup"
- Emilee Mabrey (TC) – "Examining the Standpoint of Single Mother Students Living in Affordable Housing while Pursuing Higher Education"
- Ashley Schoener (COH) – "The use of a virtual reality mindfulness exercise to attenuate the effect of anxiety on attentional control"
- Brian Fox (COH) – "The Effects of a Simulated Ruck March on Joint Mechanics and Dynamic Postural Stability in Untrained Personnel"
- Smrita Acharya (CSH) – "Isotopic composition of different water sources in the Mt. Everest region, Nepal"
- Lanyang Zhou (CAP) – "Urban Development, City Management and People’s Lives: A View from the Changing Streets of Leshan"
- Ben Evans (CSH) – "What regions of Ume6 regulate filamentation in the human fungal pathogen Candida albicans"
- Crystal Hajek (COH) – "Effects of Varied Speed and Grade on Downhill Running Biomechanics and Muscle Activation"
- Samantha Scheibler (CSH) – "Quantifying the effects of phosphorus concentrations on benthic macroinvertebrates in urban and agricultural watersheds"
- Jacob Wade (CSH) – "Synthesis and Electrochemical Properties of [Fe-Fe]-Hydrogenase Mimic Compounds for use as a Catalyst for Hydrogen (H2) Production"
- Shannon Hawkins (CSH) – "Do Parasitic Trematode Flatworms Form Castes in Freshwater Snails?"
- Huda Al Herz (CSH) – "Understanding Factors Related to Food Waste in the Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC). A Qualitative Study in Lebanon, Indiana"
- Aashna Banerjee (COH) – "Perceptions of public safety in 2020--A qualitative study on urban Indian women"
- Jordan Forbes (CSH) – "Memorials, Monuments and Ghosts: Remembering History and Indigeneity in Fort Wayne, Indiana"