On November 5, 2016, the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Inc. (CALEA) recognized Ball State University Police Department for its fourth accreditation.
Ball State is one of two Indiana internationally accredited campus law enforcement agencies.
The purpose of CALEA’s accreditation programs is to improve the delivery of public safety services, primarily by maintaining a body of standards developed by public safety practitioners internationally, covering a wide range of up-to-date public safety initiatives, establishing and administering an accreditation process, and recognizing professional excellence.
Specifically, CALEA’s goals are to:
- strengthen crime prevention and control capabilities
- formalize essential management procedures
- establish fair and nondiscriminatory personnel practices
- improve service delivery
- solidify inter agency cooperation and coordination
- increase community and staff confidence in the agency