Unity Week aims to challenge perspectives on matters of diversity, inclusivity and solidarity in an evolving social climate. Unity Week 2022 marks the 42nd annual Unity Week celebration at Ball State University.
The week of events is planned by student organization leaders and professional staff from across the university. Since 1980, Unity Week remains dedicated to unifying the Ball State community through enlightening social, cultural and educational events.
All events are free and open to students, faculty, staff, and community members.
Unity Week 2023 Schedule of Events
The 2023 schedule for Unity Week has not been finalized. Follow our Instagram @bsumulti to stay updated!
MLK Essay Contest
As part of our celebration for the 43rd Unity Week at Ball State University, the Multicultural Center is sponsoring the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. essay writing contest. This contest calls for papers from Ball State students that describe the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. These essays will examine Dr. King’s life of social activism and intellectual work as it relates to the challenge of racial reconciliation in our currently divided nation. Students will be asked to complete and upload a 500-700 words double spaced essay that exemplifies the ideals of social justice espoused by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Three winners will be awarded cash prizes.
- Award: 1st place -$250, 2nd place - $200, 3rd place - $150
- Eligibility: Be a current student (undergraduate or graduate) at Ball State University
- Length of Essay: 500-700 words
- Format: Double space with one-inch margins in 12-point Times New Roman font in MLA or APA format. Each submission must be submitted online in this survey.
- Due Date: Wednesday, December 21st, 2022 by 11:59pm
- Evaluation: Your essay will be evaluated in terms of originality, awareness of Dr. King's life, and the realistic outcome of your essay's idea(s).
Click here to submit your essay.