No consideration shall be given to Requests for Waiver of Dining/Catering Exclusivity if received less than 20 working days prior to the actual food and/or beverage service activity/event.
Ball State University Dining and University Catering is dedicated to providing an exceptional and safe culinary experience for Ball State University students, faculty, staff and visitors. The purpose of this policy is to clearly define the pre-approval process required for any/all departments, organizations, or individuals to contract for an on-campus food and/or beverage service activity/event outside of Ball State University Dining and/or University Catering.
Scope and Exemptions
This policy applies to all on-campus food and/or beverage service activities/events, including:
- In all buildings and outdoor locations owned and/or operated by the University; and
- Held by University students, employee and/or visitors.
Ball State University Dining and University Catering has the first right of refusal for all locations and reserves the right to charge such groups for any cost incurred to University Catering as a result of a non-compliant food service activity/event.
Individuals and/or organizations planning to contract for an on-campus food and/or beverage service activity/event outside of Ball State University Dining and/or University Catering must:
- Complete a Ball State University Dining and University Catering Request for Waiver of Dining/Catering Exclusivity form at least twenty (20) full working days prior to the scheduled event.
- Individual and/or organizations reserving on-campus space for events, must indicate if food and/or beverage service will be part of the event.
- Ball State University Dining and/or University Catering shall review the Request for Waiver Dining/Catering Exclusivity and provide a final decision within five (5) full working days of receipt of the Exception Waiver.
Criteria for Determining Exclusivity Exception Waiver Approval
Ball State University Dining and University Catering Exception Waivers Must Meet the Following Minimum Standards:
- The proposed caterer or food service vendor must be a current University Corporate Sponsor and/or Academic Area, with a proper food service establishment permit and other state licenses. In extraordinary circumstances, exceptions may be permitted exclusively by Ball State University Dining and University Catering with the permission of the Associate Vice President for Business and Auxiliary Services.
- A Temporary Food Service Event Form must be completed and approved before the event can take place.
- The Indiana State Department of Health expressly mandates, “Food prepared in a private home may not be used or offered for human consumption in a food establishment.” The Temporary Food Service Event Form must be submitted to the EHS Office at least ten (10) business days prior to the event.
Once a Ball State University Dining and University Catering Exception Waiver is approved the individual and/or organization must:
- Purchase all foods from a compliant provider or providers and specify the source of all foods to be served.
- Work with Ball State University Environmental Health and Safety (EHS)to ensure that a copy of the selected provider’s most recent regulatory agency inspection report is available for review. If the EHS Office determines that the selected provider is not in compliance with 410 IAC 7-22 and 7-24, the organizer of the event will need to choose another provider.
- Designate a single representative as the responsible party for the event and the primary contact (responsible for compliance with the food code, food handler health, and knowledgeable of food borne disease prevention) for the food and/or beverage service activities at the event.
- Specify how the foods will be transported, handled, prepared, protected, and served in conformance with necessary food safety and sanitation standards.
Individuals and/or organizations that violate this policy are subject to an immediate cancellation of the event. Severe or repeated violations may also result in the revocation of privilege to reserve space on campus for events that involve food and/or beverage activity.
BALL STATE UNIVERSITY DINING AND UNIVERSITY CATERING POLICY AND PROCEDURE
EXCLUSIVITY OF CAMPUS EVENTS AND EXCEPTION WAIVER
Approved by Director of Dining Services and Dining Initiatives: June 22, 2018
Approved by the Associate Vice President for Business and Auxiliary Services: June 22, 2018
Approved by the Vice President for Business Affairs and Treasurer: June 22, 2018
Access the Form