Associate Professor of Journalism
About YoungAh Lee
Dr. YoungAh Lee is an associate professor and Graduate Studies Director in the School of Journalism and Strategic Communication. Dr. Lee’s research focuses on investigating the impact of strategic communication with an emphasis on reputation management and social media. Her approach to public relations emphasizes the role of reputation, believing that businesses succeed best when they align their communication and business goals. Recently, she has turned her focus to social network analysis to have a more theory-driven understanding of rich social media data while developing media analytics curriculum.
In 2016, Dr. Lee was named a Plank Center Educator Fellow in the highly competitive University of Alabama program at the Plank Center for Leadership in Public Relations.
- Ball State University, associate professor, Graduate Studies Director, Public Relations Master’s program, 2014 – present.
- Indiana Wesleyan University, assistant professor of public relations, 2011-2014.
- Co-founder/Account Director, CommunicationWorks (Public Relations Consulting Firm), Seoul, South Korea, 2004-2006.
- InComm Brodeur (Public Relations Agency, Omnicom Group), Seoul, Korea, account manager, 2000-2003.
- New Zealand Embassy, Seoul, Korea, advisory officer, 1998-2000.
- The World Trade Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, research associate, 1998.
- Ph.D., University of Missouri, Missouri School of Journalism, Columbia, Mo.
- M.A., University of Missouri, Missouri School of Journalism, Columbia, Mo.
- M.A., Ewha Women’s University, Graduate School of International Studies, Seoul, Korea.
- B.A., Ewha Women’s University, Seoul, Korea.
Selected Research and Publications
- Rim, H., Lee, Y., & Yoo, S. (2020). Polarized Public Opinion Responding to Corporate Social Advocacy (CSA): Social Network Analysis of Boycotters and Advocators.
- Lee, Y. (2019). Understanding parents’ view on US higher education marketing communication. Educational Research for Policy and Practice.
- Lee, Y., Park, H., & Cameron, G (2018). Strategic Communication in U.S. Higher Education: Testing the Congruity Effects of University Identity and Image among Parents of Prospective Students. International Journal of Strategic Communication.
- Lee, Y., Park, S., Lee, H., Williams, E., & Cameron, G (2018). Resources aren’t everything, but they do help! Assessing local TV health news to deliver substantive and useful information for smart health. Journal of Communication in Healthcare: Strategies, Media and Engagement in Global Health.
- Kim, J., Lee, Y., Garner, L., Park, H., & Cameron, G. (2017). What’s in a Name? Health Literacy Leaders Say Plenty! Howard Journal of Communications.
- Doyle, E., & Lee, Y. (2016). Context, Context, Context: Priming Theory and Attitudes towards Corporations in Social Media. Public Relations Review.
Honors and Awards
- Advised the 3rd place Arthur Page Case study competition winning case study by BSU students
- Awarded Ball State’s College of Communication, Information and Media High Technology Award, Fall 2016
- Awarded 2016 Plank Center for Leadership in Public Relations Fellowship
||0000 - 0000
||OL, room ONLINE