You will need to be admitted by both the Graduate School and our program.
- Application—Print and complete an application to the program.
- Letter of Intent—This letter should discuss the topics listed on the application under "Statement of Purpose." Please provide us with nine credits of potential electives that support your objectives. Ball State offers a number of online graduate courses although these electives may be taken at any accredited institution (regional accreditation).
- Resume—Provide a complete, up-to-date resume.
- Portfolio—Your portfolio can include works from undergraduate studies and professional projects. Portfolio size may not exceed 8½ x 11 inches. Portfolios may also be submitted digitally as CDs or DVDs. You are not required to submit a portfolio if your undergraduate degree is not in the design field and you are applying for the 80 credits option.
- Recommendations—Two letters of recommendation, which can be from employers or professors from your undergraduate degree program.
If you have any questions about this process, contact Dr. Shireen Kanakri.
Priority deadlines are:
- Fall semester: July 1
- Spring semester: December 1
- Summer semester: April 1
How to Apply
Admission to Ball State is selective, and we carefully evaluate all application on an individual basis. Applying for admission is easy. Use our convenient, comprehensive, and secure online application.
You will upload all of the materials listed above to this application.
Students from Other States
Ball State is authorized to accept online students from all U.S. states. However, certain states have regulations regarding licensing programs in nursing and education. Learn more about state authorizations for non-Indiana students.
If the degree is offered only in an online format, U.S. policies will not allow you to come to the U.S. and take only online courses. However, you may be able to study online from your home country.
International Students Studying Online Only
If you’re an international student, in addition to meeting the requirements above, you will first need to meet the admission requirements for international graduate students. For information about the international admission process, contact International Admissions.
If you are receiving sponsorship from your government for your studies, please confirm with your sponsor that you are permitted to enroll in online education courses. It is your responsibility to determine if you can enroll in online courses per your sponsor (if applicable), and the laws and policies of your nation and the United States.
International Students Studying on Campus
You can only study on campus if the degree has either an on-campus or blended option. Online only degrees cannot be taken on campus. If you’re an international student and wish to study on our main campus in Muncie, Indiana, you will first need to meet the admission requirements for international graduate students. For information about the international admission process, contact the International Admissions.
Admission deadlines for international students are earlier.
Please review the admission deadlines from International Admissions so that there is plenty of time to review your application before enrollment deadlines.