Upcoming Webinars

Attend a live webinar to learn more about the master's degree in Educational Administration and Supervision and Principal's license. You will receive an application fee waiver after the event, just for registering.

If you’re a teacher who already holds an education master’s degree, you don’t need to go through another master’s program to become licensed as an administrator. Our building level administrator license program will prepare you for a career as a school principal.

This online program is designed for teachers who already hold a master’s degree in an area of education. Students without a master’s degree may pursue the license in conjunction with a master’s in educational administration and supervision.

Master’s Degree Completed (at Ball State or elsewhere)

If you wish to complete this program as a master’s degree and a licensing program combined, you must meet all the admission criteria for a master’s degree and be accepted through the Department of Educational Leadership and the Graduate School. Completion of the courses below will not guarantee a master’s degree will be granted, unless you have been accepted in the master’s degree program.

Course Requirements

This 24-credit license includes the following courses:

  • EDAD 600 Intro to Educational Leadership (3 credits)
  • EDAD 630 Personnel Administration in Educational Institutions (3 credits)
  • EDAD 635 Educational Decision Making (3 credits)
  • EDAD 684 Educational Finance (3 credits)
  • EDAD 686 School Law (3 credits)
  • EDAD 689 The School Principal (3 credits)
  • EDAD 694 Principal Internship (6 credits)

Major Requirements

To be eligible for a principal’s license, you must have two years of teaching experience in an accredited school or schools in the grade coverage and areas as listed on your standard or proficient grade teaching license. This must be verified in the form of a letter by your employing school system and submitted to our office prior to or at the time of application for this license.

You must also take the School Building-Level Leaders Licensure Assessment Test with a score of 165 or higher.

Ready to Apply?

You will first want to check if you meet the admission requirements for the Ball State Graduate School. Then you may apply.

No GRE is required.


Admission to Ball State is selective, and we carefully evaluate all application on an individual basis. Applying for admission is easy. Use our convenient, comprehensive, and secure online application.

Get Started

Students from Other States

Ball State is authorized to accept online students from all U.S. states. However, certain states have regulations regarding licensing programs in nursing and education. Learn more about state authorizations for non-Indiana students.

Want to Learn More?

Do you have questions about this program or online learning? We’re here to help! You may request more information using our online form, or feel free to reach out directly to one of our staff.

REQUEST INFO                                                    CONTACT US