Build your credentials as a visionary and innovative leader in sustainability efforts. Whether you're advancing your current career or starting a new one, the graduate certificate in sustainability is designed to prepare you to guide businesses, organizations, and communities in anticipating, implementing, and celebrating the achievement of social, economic, and environmental sustainability.
Using knowledge and skills gained in critical thinking, ethics, data analysis, modeling practices, and more, graduates completing the certificate will be able to confidently develop, implement, and evaluate sustainability initiatives.
If you are an Indiana resident, our 5-week courses cost:
- $552 for one course
- $994 for two courses taken in the same academic semester
- $1,436 for three courses taken in the same academic semester
Costs for out-of-state residents are:
- $761 for one course
- $1,412 for two courses taken in the same academic semester
- $2,063 for three courses taken in the same academic semester
Check with your employer. Workplace tuition assistance is a common benefit.
Sample our 5-Week Courses
Each course is 1 credit, taught over a 5-week period. Even if the timing for pursuit of a full graduate certificate may not be right just yet, you can sample courses of interest to help you build skills in specific areas for your professional development goals.
View the 5-week course schedule.
Scholarships and Fee Waivers
Apply by December 23, 2019 and receive a $60 application fee waiver. Additionally, we’re offering $250 scholarships to the first 10 students who sign up for one or more January courses.
Contact Casey Schultz
, advisor, for more information.
The 12-credit graduate certificate in sustainability program provides specialized training in the areas of environmental, social, and economic sustainability. You will choose a minimum of two courses from each focus area.
View Course Schedule View Course Catalog
Sustainability Focus Areas
- SUST 510 Atmosphere (1 credit)
- SUST 511 Ecological Systems (1 credit)
- SUST 512 Soil Resources (1 credit)
- SUST 513 Material Resources and Waste (1 credit)
- SUST 514 Water Resources (1 credit)
- SUST 515 Food Systems (1 credit)
- SUST 516 Energy Resources (1 credit)
- SUST 519 Environmental Law (1 credit)
- SUST 520 Environmental Ethics (1 credit)
- SUST 521 Human Health and Well Being (1 credit)
- SUST 523 Population (1 credit)
- SUST 524 Social/Environmental Justice (1 credit)
- SUST 528 Waste/Human Health (1 credit)
- SUST 529 Business Ethics/Environment (1 credit)
- SUST 530 Analytics for Business (1 credit)
- SUST 531 Modeling for Business (1 credit)
- SUST 532 Reporting for Business (1 credit)
- SUST 535 Internal Communications (1 credit)
- SUST 536 Ecological Economics (1 credit)
- SUST 537 Media Relations (1 credit)
Hear from Our Professors
Casey Schultz, Advisor
Director of the Center for Energy Research/Education/Service
Professor of Architecture
More about Online Learning
Ready to Apply?
You will first want to check if you meet the admission requirements for the Ball State Graduate School. Then you may apply.
Want to Learn More?
Do you have questions about this graduate certificate program or online learning? We’re here to help! You can request more information using our online form or reach out directly to our staff.
Request Info Contact Us