Students exploring commercial photography, learn the importance of controlling light within the photographic studio.
Esko, a proprietary software used in the GCM program, delivers real world experience in the expanding environment of package design, creation, and print.
Hands on experience with screen-printing allows provides the skills necessary to create and print their own t-shirt designs.
Students experience authentic print processes from design to print while working on equipment found in many businesses.
Gain a broad technical knowledge of graphic arts and hands-on experience with modern printing processes and equipment with our graphic arts management major.
You’ll graduate prepared with the technical and managerial skills you need for a professional career in the dynamic and diverse graphic arts and printing industry.
The mission of the graphic arts management major at Ball State University is to prepare individuals for technical and management oriented careers in the dynamic field of graphic communications.
The goal of our program is to prepare professionals who:
- Possess entry-level technical knowledge of materials, processes, and applications in graphic communications.
- Apply theories, concepts, and principles found in mathematics, science, humanities, and the social/behavioral sciences to problems (or solve problems) in graphic communication and management.
- Understand and effectively apply computer applications and information systems to technical processes and managerial applications in the industry.
- Have the team building, communication skills, and managerial abilities to successfully manage graphic communication projects.
- Seek continued professional growth and are able to assume leadership roles within the profession.
What You Will Learn
Our degree covers all aspects of printing and provides opportunities for you to use some of the same printing equipment used in the industry.
Your classes will cover topics like:
- commercial printing and publishing
- printing materials and equipment
- computer applications for creative and managerial functions
- quality control and production control systems
- prepress, estimating, and printing management
View Degree Requirements
Required Minor in Business Administration
You'll complete a required minor in business administration to gain the supervision and management skills you'll need to advance to senior-level positions. Learn more.
What Can You Do with a Graphic Arts Management Degree?
Graduates are well-prepared to work in many areas of the graphic arts and printing industry and usually begin their careers in entry-level managerial or technical positions. Many entrepreneurial graduates start their own graphic arts and printing companies.
As an immersive learning project, members of our chapter of the Technical Association of the Graphic Arts worked with chemistry and biology students to feature their research in a comic book format. The project won a national award. Keep reading.
Locations where graduates work include:
- printing companies
- paper mills
- prepress firms
- advertising firms
- packaging firms
- publishing companies
- ink companies
- specialty printers
Common job titles of graduates working in the printing industry include:
- production manager
- sales manager
- customer services manager
- printing estimators
- prepress managers
- quality assurance managers
- print buyers
Ready to Apply?
Have you decided that our graphic arts management major is right for you? Then it’s time to begin the admission process. Make sure review Ball State’s admission requirements, then complete the online application.