Your records at Ball State are built from your initial admission to the university. In order to keep all your records updated and maintained with your legal name, you will need to provide the registrar's office with any changes to your legal name using the Name Change Request form. A name change request allows you to modify your academic record to reflect a change in your legal name.

To protect the integrity of your academic record, we require your written authorization and documentary proof of your name change. If unable to use the name change request form (PDF), your written authorization should include:

  • Ball State ID number (or Social Security number)
  • all former names
  • the year and term you last attended Ball State
  • a telephone number where you may be reached during the workday
  • your complete new name
  • your signature authorizing the change
Documentary proof of your name change should include at least one of the following:
  • Social Security card
  • valid driver’s license
  • marriage license or divorce decree
  • other legal document

If returning this form by mail, fax, or scan/email, copies of legal documents should be included with the Name Change Request form.

Please note: If you are submitting a copy of divorce papers, please do not include any provisions other than that ordering the name change. That is, include only the jurisdiction (court, county, state), the name of the parties, the name change provision, signature and date of the judge or clerk of the court.

Name Change Request Form (PDF)

If your guardianship has changed, please complete the Guardianship Change Form and return it to the registrar's office, Lucina Hall, Room B43.

Guardianship Change Form

For Students

You can change your address online at my.bsu.

You will need to log in, choose “SSB - Self-Service Banner,” then select “Personal Information” to update your address.

We encourage you to keep your information up to date. It is easier and safer for all parties involved because the information can be verified.

Cell or mobile phone number update - Your cell phone number or mobile number can be updated by sending an email request from your BSU email account to Registrar.  

In the request, be sure to include your full name, your BSID number, your old cell or mobile number, and the new cell or mobile number in the email. 


For Parents

If you need to change any information, including address or names, we ask that you give that information to your child, who can then pass it on to us.

To ensure accuracy, we prefer to not handle that type of business over the phone.