About John Carter
John Carter joined the Division of Online and Strategic Learning in August 2022. With a background in composition and creative writing pedagogy, he has a particular enthusiasm for the role of communication in pedagogical processes, whether that be oral communication via class discussions, written communication via course documents, or visual/electronic communication via document design and instructional technologies. His graduate work focused on poetry, the environment, and sustainable agriculture, and, because of that, he has a keen interest in and awareness of the value of interdisciplinary work. When he isn’t thinking or talking about pedagogy, he can be found at the edge of a cornfield, writing about this strange, in-between region that is the Midwest.
- Instructional Consultant (2022 - Present). Division of Online and Strategic Learning, Ball State University
- Graduate Teaching Assistant (2019-2022). English, Iowa State University
- Senator-at-Large (2021-2022). Graduate and Professional Student Senate, Iowa State University
- Managing Editor (2020-2021). Flyway: Journal of Writing and Environment, Iowa State University
- Half-time Instructor of English (2018-2019). Department of English Ball State University
- Graduate Teaching Assistant (2016-2018). Department of English, Ball State University
Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Creative Writing and Environment, 2022
Iowa State University
Master of Arts (MA) in Creative Writing, 2018
Ball State University
Bachelor of Arts (BA) in English-Creative Writing, 2013
Ball State University
Publications and Presentations
- Carter, J. (2022). "When the Anthropocene Ends in the Rust Belt, or When the Gods Decide to Repent." In Jack Hartley (Ed.), Hell is Real: A Midwest Gothic Anthology (pp. 162-163). Jack Apollo Hartley.
- Carter, J. (2021). "Petrosomatoglyph." Yemassee, 27, 104-105.
- Carter, J., Bredar, S., Goff, E., Townsend, T., Baugh, T., & DeLorenzo, L. (2019, March 30). "What Are Your Stars to Steer By?" [Roundtable discussion]. Sigma Tau Delta 2019 International Convention, St. Louis, MN.
- Carter, J. (2018, March 24). "Land/locked Bodies. In K. Juszczak (Chair), Things That Go Bump in Original Poetry" [Symposium]. Sigma Tau Delta 2018 International Convention, Cincinnati, OH.
- Carter, J., Eflin, J., Holowell, S., Jones, M., & Sheets, J. (2013, April). "We are Young: Social Media from a College Student Prospective" [Presentation]. East Central Indiana Social Media Group, Muncie, IN.
- Carter, J., Orchard, A., & Weinman, P. (2017, August). "Peer Review & Fostering Good Revision Practices" [Breakout session]. 2017 Ball State University Writing Program Orientation, Muncie, IN.