Director of Faculty Development
About Kathleen Jacobi
Kathleen brings 12 years as a faculty member to her role of director of faculty development. Her teaching experience spans early childhood through adult and multiple modalities. With a goal of exploring best practices to develop pedagogical techniques and strategies that are student-centered and inclusive, her facilitation approach is one that creates a welcoming environment with respectful discourse. She seeks input from faculty in identifying resources and materials to support their areas of interest and creates various ways to interact with colleagues from across the university. In addition to her role in faculty development, she has also taught courses for the School of Music and the Department of Educational Studies.
- Assistant Director of Faculty Engagement (2010 – present). Division of Online and Strategic Learning, Ball State University
- Faculty Development Specialist (2009 – 2010). Ball State University
- Adjunct Faculty (2008 – 2009). Ball State University
- Assistant Professor and Coordinator of Music Education (2002 – 2008). University of Nevada, Reno
- Assistant Professor of Music Education (1999 – 2002). University of Oregon
- Assistant Professor and Coordinator of Music Education (1996 – 1999). Central Washington University
- Adjunct Faculty (1994 – 1999). Salisbury State University
- Music Specialist (1988 – 1996). Salisbury School
- Music Specialist (1986 – 1988). Catalina Foothills School District
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Music Education
University of Arizona
Master of Music (MM) in Music Education
University of Arizona
Bachelor of Music (BM) in Music Education
Iowa State University
Publications and Presentations
- Vercellotti, M. L., Seig, M. T., Boltz, P., Nickoli, A. M., Christman, J., & Jacobi, K. (2017, October). "Institutional support for course redesign: Professional development for student-centered pedagogy and SoTL" [Conference session]. Lilly Conference: Advancing Teaching and Learning, Traverse City, MI.
- Seig, M. T., Boltz, P., Nickoli, A. M., Christman, J., & Jacobi, K. (2017, October). "Shifting faculty perspectives of student-centered pedagogy and classroom space" [Conference session]. Lilly Conference: Advancing Teaching and Learning, Traverse City, MI.
- Ellery, J., Kuban, A., Boyd, D., Seemann, J., West, E. P., Place, J. M., Sook-Pak, C., Finch, M. H., Pavlechko, G., & Jacobi, K. (2016, October). "Creating a faculty learning community on community engagement" [Conference session]. 2016 Engagement Scholarship Consortium Conference, Omaha, NE.
- Pucciarelli, D., Young, J., & Jacobi, K. (2015, November). "Impacting faculty morale through an innovative teaching initiative" [Research poster session]. 35th Annual Original Lilly Conference, Miami University, Oxford, OH.
- Pavlechko, G., Harwood, P., Bussiere, S., Cassacy, J., Jones, J., George, B., Sterling, J., & Jacobi, K. (2015, September). "Pre-occupancy phenomenological inquiry of learning space" [Conference session]. HEIR Network 2015 Conference, University of the West, Scotland, United Kingdom.
- Young, J. & Jacobi, K. (2015, March). "Assessing the impact of the Interactive Learning Space Initiative on faculty morale and student achievement" [Conference session and research poster session]. Edward C. Moore Symposium on Excellence in Teaching, IUPUI, Indianapolis, IN.
- Pavlechko, G. M., & Jacobi, K. L. (2014). "Faculty development: Precursor to effective student engagement in the higher education learning space." In L. Scott-Webber, J. Branch, P. Bartholomew, & C. Nygaard (Eds.), Learning Space Design in Higher Education (pp. 169-190). Oxsfordshire, United Kingdom: Libri Publishing.
- Pavlechko, G., Jones, J., & Jacobi, K. (September, 2014). "Enhancing student learning through the Interactive Learning Space Initiative" [Conference session]. HEIR Network 2014 Conference—From Action to Research, Oxford Brooks University, United Kingdom.
- Pavlechko, G., Scott-Webber, L., Strickland, A, & Jacobi-Karna, K. (2013, August). "Active learning spaces encourage interactive faculty development" [Conference session]. 2013 Forum on Active Learning Classrooms, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis MN.
- Pavlechko, G., & Jacobi-Karna, K. (2013, January). "Creating and supporting Ball State’s Interactive Learning Space (ILS) Initiative" [Conference session]. International HETL Conference—Exploring Spaces for Learning 2013, Orlando, FL.
- Jacobi-Karna, K. (2012, November). "Creating a faculty learning community through a cross-disciplinary research study" [Conference session]. 32nd Annual Lilly International Conference on College Teaching, Miami University, Oxford, OH.
- Gruver, J., Jacobi-Karna, K., Kotecki, J., Largent, D., Nickoli, A., Pavlechko, G., Pickerill, B., Smith, T., & Young, J. (2012, October). "Enhancing student engagement through the use of content capture and i>Clicker" [Conference session]. Clicker Conference 2012, Chicago, IL.
- Siering, G., Pavlechko, G., & Jacobi-Karna, K. (2010, November). "Midterm feedback: Moving from student complaints to meaningful instructional recommendations" [Conference session]. 35th Annual Professional and Organizational Development Network in Higher Education Conference, St. Louis, MO.