All candidates who participate in the university commencement exercise must wear the appropriate academic attire.
Where to Buy Attire
To order your official Ball State commencement cap and gown package visit Ball State's online bookstore. Cap and gown orders for the 2020 Spring commencement ceremony must be placed by March 16 and will be available for pick beginning Tuesday, April 21 at the Ball State Bookstore. They will continue to be available for pick up throughout business hours leading up to the ceremony.
Order Cap and Gown
When ordering your cap and gown package, you will be given two shipping options to choose from:
- ship to bookstore — free shipping
- ship to home — there is a minimum shipping and handling fee of $15.95.
Associate's Degree Students
If you are a student graduating with an associate's degree, please contact the Ball State Bookstore for your regalia needs.
Purchasing Other Graduation Items
Thank you cards, diploma frames, and many other graduation items are also available at the Ball State Bookstore in the Art and Journalism Building. Class rings and announcements can be purchased through Balfour. Custom announcements require 15 business days to produce and to be received by the customer.
Please contact the Ball State Bookstore with any additional questions at 765-285-8080.
Cap and Gown Prices
|Associate Degree Cap, Gown, and Tassel ||$49.98
|Baccalaureate Degree Cap, Gown, and Tassel ||$49.98
|Master’s Degree Cap, Gown, Hood, and Tassel ||$97.98
|Doctorate and Specialist Degree Cap, Gown, Hood, and Tassel ||$99.98
Caps and Gowns
All Associate Degrees
- black gown
- black cap and flat mortar board with cardinal tassel
All Baccalaureate (Bachelors) Degrees
- black baccalaureate gown (long, rounded sleeves)
- black cap and flat mortar board with cardinal and white tassel
All Masters Degrees
- black masters gown (long, oblong sleeves)
- black cap and flat mortar board with tassel and masters hood representing area of study
Degree Tassel and Hood
||Tassel and Hood Match
|M.A. - Master of Art ||White
|MAE - Master of Arts in Education ||Light Blue
|MAR - Master of Architecture ||Light Purple
|MBA - Master of Business Administration ||Royal Blue
|MLA - Master of Landscape Architecture ||Light Purple
|M.S. - Master of Science ||Golden Yellow
|MUR - Master of Urban and Regional Architecture ||Light Purple
|MPA - Master of Public Administration ||Teal Green
|M.M. - Master of Music ||Pink
All Doctoral Degrees
- black gown with three velvet bars on the sleeves
- black cap, soft or hard, with gold tassel, and doctoral hood representing area of study.
Degree tassel and hood
||Tassel and Hood
|Ph.D. - Doctor of Philosophy ||Gold Tassel and Royal Blue Hood
|DA - Doctor of Arts ||Gold Tassel and Pink Hood
|EdD - Doctor of Education ||Gold Tassel and Light Blue Hood
|EdS - Specialist in Education ||Gold Tassel and Light Blue Hood
|AUD - Doctor of Audiology ||Gold Tassel and Rhodes Blue Hood
|DNP - Doctor of Nursing Practice ||Gold Tassel and Apricot Hood
Ball State University welcomes students, academic programs, and student organizations to express their identity and values through the addition of appropriate accessories to the standard regalia. Any accessories added to the regalia should not obstruct the view of others at the ceremony or interfere with another’s participation in the ceremony.
Ball State University student organizations wishing to provide members or participants with accessories to be worn at commencement must seek prior approval from the Office of Commencement. The cost of the accessories will be borne by the organization or student members. A list of all pre-approved regalia accessories, including the requesting person or organization, description, and meaning of the accessory will be maintained by the Commencement Office. Students not in compliance with the requirements of this policy may be asked to remove and/or conceal any unapproved accessory.
Examples of Accessories:
- cum laude—bronze medallion
- magna cum laude—silver medallion
- summa cum laude—gold medallion
- R. Wayne Estopinal College of Architecture and Planning—stole approved by the college
- Honors College—red and white cords
- Military—black and gold cords; student veteran's stole
- Mortar Board—gold and silver cords
- Phi Kappa Phi—blue and gold cords
- Golden Key—blue and gold cords
- Phi Upsilon Omicron - yellow, purple, and white cords; purple stole
- Student Athletes – red and white stole
- Greek Life – in accordance with affiliation
*Graduates may decorate their mortarboard as long as it is not inappropriate or distracting to the ceremony or graduates around them.