DUE DATE: February 24, 2024
BFA and BA.BS Dance (DANC)
We encourage all dancers to audition in person for our program. The guidelines below are for all
who are not able to attend the in-person event. The process for remote auditions includes
submitting a video audition (see below) and submitting a résumé and headshot.
Submission Requirements: Upload your accessible link (Unlisted YouTube, Vimeo, or Google Drive links with permission) to your Cardinal Landing portal via the Supplemental Theatre & Dance Application. Within this application, you will see a text box where you will paste the appropriate link for your audition video. Audition Requirements:
- Audition Video (see requirements below)
Dance Video Submission
In our department we emphasize technique, artistry, creativity and intellect through a variety of forms. We honor each student’s journey in their development as artists and in their abilities in these different forms. We encourage you to highlight your talents and interests in your video submission.
(1) Please submit 3 - 5 minutes of basic dance exercises, from which we can get a sense of your dance skills and technique — as well as any other class-type activity that you believe will help us see your current level of training. These exercises/combinations should be in at least 3 out of the 5 following forms: modern, hip-hop, West African, ballet, or jazz. You may use music if you wish.
(2) Perform a 90-second to 2-minute solo. It can be in any dance style that you feel best demonstrates your artistic qualities. It does not need to be self-choreographed.
While it's important that your video shows us what we need to see, and a nice, clear video is important, this is not meant to be a test of your videography skills. We hope that this method clarifies the transparency of our teaching faculty, our commitment to inclusivity, and the value we place on equitable learning experiences. Below are some additional suggestions as you develop your digital audition footage.
- Combine ALL video clips from (1) & (2) requirements above into ONE video. Your application will only accept one video link.
- Ensure good lighting, we want to be able to see you.
- Have your camera off the ground if possible.
- Make sure beforehand that we can hear the music.
- Have a non-distracting background.
- Make sure the camera can see you at all times.
***Please do not feel the need to spend any money on your audition tape. We want to see you as YOU are and let your dancing speak for itself. With that said, if you have footage from other schools/intensives that you feel adequately represents your abilities as a dancer, feel free to submit this in your audition video. We as a department do not want to put any additional strain on your time, resources, or body/mind.
In short, enjoy the learning process as you explore these dance forms and present them in your audition video. We look forward to watching your submissions!